Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have just had some HP 920 Ink cartridges refilled at Costco.  All works well with the exception of the ink level

display.  The printer fails to pick up the new ink levels.  Is there a way to do a 'Hard Reset' of the printer to pick

up the refilled cartridge levels?  As I stated they are authentic HP Cartridges.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello fancifree4u

For print cartridge errors you may try following the article: Print Cartridge Errors. However, since they are refilled ink cartridges HP cannot guarantee that they will work correctly.

Can I Refill The Ink In My HP Ink Cartridge?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

There is no way around that.  You have to use genuine HP cartridges. There is a chip in the cartridge that tells it wether it is new or refilled.  Refilled and remanufactured cartridges normally won't work in HP printers or the ink levels are not properly shown because there is not way for the printer to know how much ink there is now in the cartridge(s).

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon"
Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
HP Recommended

I only refill hp cartridges as a stop gap untill I can purchase genuine hp cartridges. I have a J6480 all in one and have problums with cartridges like left cart needs to be replaced or cartridges installed inproperly. It causes a problem as it slows down printing. and I have to shut printer and re start

HP Recommended

Hello fancifree4u

For print cartridge errors you may try following the article: Print Cartridge Errors. However, since they are refilled ink cartridges HP cannot guarantee that they will work correctly.

Can I Refill The Ink In My HP Ink Cartridge?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help and info

HP Recommended
solved
HP Recommended

You're welcome fancifree4u

Glad I could help.

HP Recommended

This answer is not correct.  Why do you people put out this misinformation?  The printer doesn't know you have refilled or are using a remanufactured cartridge.  What it knows is that the ESTIMATED ink has reduced to a level where the printer THINKS it's out of ink and that info is stored in the chip.  You can refill the cartidge and use it but you can't get around the message stored in the chip.  The printer will still function after giving you a couple of messages.  I have a 6500A pinter also.

Also, the fact is that ink level indications are not accurate but are only ESTIMATES of the ink remaining in the cartridge.  The older Canon printers used to view the cartridges (BCI3E) ink level against a small mirror in the bottom of the tank/cartridge.  I have refilled those cartridges 2 or 3 DOZEN times.  This was actual ink remaining but Canon quit doing that for obvious reasons.  Sooner or later someone will make a chip resetter available for HP which you can get for Epson.

HP Recommended

@cartridgefiller wrote:

This answer is not correct.  Why do you people put out this misinformation?  The printer doesn't know you have refilled or are using a remanufactured cartridge.  What it knows is that the ESTIMATED ink has reduced to a level where the printer THINKS it's out of ink and that info is stored in the chip.  You can refill the cartidge and use it but you can't get around the message stored in the chip.  The printer will still function after giving you a couple of messages.  I have a 6500A pinter also.

Also, the fact is that ink level indications are not accurate but are only ESTIMATES of the ink remaining in the cartridge.  The older Canon printers used to view the cartridges (BCI3E) ink level against a small mirror in the bottom of the tank/cartridge.  I have refilled those cartridges 2 or 3 DOZEN times.  This was actual ink remaining but Canon quit doing that for obvious reasons.  Sooner or later someone will make a chip resetter available for HP which you can get for Epson.

Hi everyone ,

Just a reminder that this is a peer-to-peer community of HP customers. Most of the users here are consumers like yourselves who are offering solutions because they like to help others, and any HP employees you see are here on their own capacity and not representing the company.

Please remember that any particular information given on these boards is not supported by HP.  Consideration should be taken into account that advice given can still damage the printer and void the warranty, and that any damage caused by using this solution is the sole responsibility of the product owner.

If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, or questions about repair, you can use the link below for contact information.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If you have other questions and concerns about using the forum, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

KittyK - HP Support Forums Moderator

Clicking the "Kudos star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!

When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!

Rules of Participation
HP Recommended

Refills have worked great for me.  The ink levels being out is a very minor inconvenience compared to the several hundred dollars I've saved.  My first venture was with a black ink refill kit which was about $30 and I've gotten several refills of my extra capacity cartridge, and more recently when my color inks ran out, I purchased a color refill kit.  It takes a few minutes to refill, which is less time than going to a store to get the new cartridge.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.