Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

N ew HP black cartridge made in China with August 2015 expiration date still does not print black.

the 6500a worked great with original cartridges but when bk ran out i installed the new bk as well as the other color cartridges.  I have follow HP troubleshooting steps and printer still  does not print bk there fore printer does not work.

tks

earl

HP Recommended

Hello Blanco474

Im at a friends, he had cartridges refilled a while ago, nothing works after that, but i see on the HP website that it is allowed by the company?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00853819

"Yes, you can. But do you want to"

I really hope that anybody knows how to fix this, because he promises never to buy anything of hp if it cant be fixed.

HP Recommended

It is not possible to reset HP printers for ink levels.  Keep in mind that ink levels are not actual levels but only estimations because the printer cannot 'see' inside the cartridge.  Brother and the older Canon BCI 3 & 6 cartridges actually have window in the cartridge and the printer reports actual levels.

For HP you have to just respond OK to the warning message or messages.  I have 2 sets of cartridges that I rotate and the printer keeps warning me they are not legitimate when I put them in.

When you put back a refilled cartridge and if it does not work, with the printer on, remove the catridges and then remove the cradle.  Gently clean the cradle while out and then put it all back.  The printer will re-initialize and the cartridges will work.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I wish you could be more specific about "nothing works after that". What is the problem with the printer?

I know  that HP allows the use of refilled ink cartridges but HP also warns about it:

• Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely
  • 70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem
Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing. You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.

It is true that at the end you pay more because now the printer is destroyed by ink that does not meet the minimum chemistry requirements to be compatible with your printer. . .

I am sorry that I can not help you or provide you with more information on this issue that your friend is facing. 

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon"
Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
HP Recommended

The previous comment from Blanco474 is not accurate.

Destroy the printer?  Not likely - the worst that could happen would be the printhead(s) are damaged and would need replacement.  The printheads are in the bottom of the cartridge cradle.

I am have been using refilled cartridges for 3 1/2 years in my HP Officejet 6500A Plus.  No problems, EXCEPT as I mentioned today in my previous reply, if the refilled cartridge will not work, removing the printhead cradle and reinstalling causes the printer to re-initialize and 'discover' the refilled cartridge(s).  The printer MUST be on while doing that.

This procedure is a pain so I rotate 2 sets of refills to avoid the issue.  I bought an extra set of refilled cartridges from the local refill company - same price as refilling mine.  I am not therefore reinstalling the same cartridge when it has completely run out of ink as most people do.  The printer handles this fine.  You will get messages about non HP cartridges, etc.  which you just bypass by pressing ok.

This is not magic and you save money.  If the price of new cartridges was more reasonable I would buy new.  I used to own an inkjet refill location.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that the reason you can have problems with reinstalling the same cartridge (now refilled) is because the cartridge has an identity recorded in the chip on the bottom.  When you reinstall that same cartridge the printer recognizes it and it usually won't work.  You have to break this pattern by installing a different cartridge which has a different identity and resets the printer.

You should also be aware that because the printer only estimates the level of ink, usually when it says the cartridge is empty, it isn't and can have quite a bit of ink remaining.  I run my dry.

Another thing, refillers put more ink in the cartridge than HP does because HP does not completely fill the tank.  Also, make sure you use 920XL and not 920 that came with the printer because they hold very little ink, especially the black.

HP Recommended

How to do a reset for ink level after refilling original cartridges?

HP Recommended

Read the previous postings.  You cannot reset the printer/cartridges after refilling.  Just live with it.  Keep pressing ok on the printer to get by the messages and everything will be fine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.