Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 710C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

I have recently completed the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 with no issues, or so I thought.  My Deskjet 710C appeared to be installed correctly (it was working correctly under Windows 7), but if you try to print to the printer or print a test page from the control panel, the printer does not do anything.

I checked the compatibility page and completely re-installed the device including drivers from Windows Update for the 710C (it was previously using drivers for the 720C, but this has never been a problem).  Still no response.

If I print a test page while having the print queue open in Windows I can see that the test page lands in the print queue for a moment, but then disappears without the printer actually doing anything.  No error messages, but no printing.

Is this a driver issue, or is it something else I'm overlooking?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Larry

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @LarryLong,

I see that you are experiencing issues printing from Windows 10. I would like to help you.

Most likely the Windows update drivers aren't compatible with the Deskjet 710c printer, using the parallel connection.

I would suggest to get a compatible USB printer and check to make sure the drivers are available to download on hp.com site first.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Boy, that is quite a well researched response.  If the drivers are in the Windows 10 update package, then the ARE compatible.  It seems that "Buy A New HP Printer" is becoming HP's standard support response for everything.  Do you think that with this type of support, that the new printer that they will buy will be an HP?

HP Recommended

Hi @Hydrad,

I did research this issue. The drivers are listed that they should work from the Windows Updates, but they are not communicating. HP Printers - HP Printers That Work with Windows 10.

I checked the website and all the drivers from Windows XP up to WIndows 10 are installed by the built in Windows drivers.

This printer is at least 10 years old and has parallel port.

If the port is showing LPT1 for the ports tab for the Printer's Properties, then the only other thing I can suggest is to run the

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks to both of you for the responses - I'm aware that with a ten year old printer you're lucky to be able to have any sort of support so I really appreciate your help.

I guess buying another printer is an obvious fix, but I'd like to first know for sure that the printer (or indeed parallel port printers in general) is not supported under Windows 10 - I try to avoid throwing away working equipment if I can because of the environmental impact of a throwaway culture (and maybe because I'm a little cheap!). 

I'll see what the Print and Scan Doctor shows and report back tonight.

Cheers,

Larry

HP Recommended

No good, I'm afraid.  I think those tools only troubleshoot USB and network printers

HP Recommended

I have just upgraded my Win7 to Win10 and I had the same problem.

and I just can't believe HP still does not have a solution for this problem !

is that all ?  

HP will ONLY tell me to BUY another printer?

which brand HP will recommend me as long as HP claims that CANNOT provide a solution

for the problems I encounter with the HP products ?

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have same problem after upgrade to Windows 10.

But my printer can print when I her clean the cartridge inyectors. No print anything any more.

It print the drivers of the 720C print.

I have a cable parallel adapter-USB (I havent parallel port)

Thanks

HP Recommended

Even with W8 doesn't work. I think definitely it's not compatible, sadly. I've searched a lot of possibilities like drivers for the cable, printer drivers, etc, and none of those work. I don't want to throw away mi printer, but HP doesn't have an effective solution.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

i faced the same thing after upgrading Windows 7 64-bit to Windwos 10 64-bit. Already on Windwos 7 it was a mess to get it to work. As far as i can rember i needed to install an patched driver for this printer.

But actually i got it to work on Windows 10 32-bit. Steps i have done:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Go to settings of ECP-Printerinterface (LPT)
  3. Under second tab port settings i checked the "Use lagecy settings" checkbox and i activeted "use interupts..." (3rd option)

After that i just reinstalled the printer and it finally works now. I was not able to get it run with this settings under Windows 64 bit. There it now will not show an error message and just send the print quue trough but the printer is not printing...but its may worth a try with you. I just moved the printer to the other laptop and printing from the 64bit one through printer share.

Kind Regards,

Christoph

PS: Really lame that HP didn't mentioned that!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.