Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Officeworker1 wrote:

I havent heard a word yet from HP in any private communication.  Suffice to say I have 2 law firms competing on who gets to represent me in this Magnuson Moss and Consumer Fraud action.  Sad but true, HP doesnt give a rat's *** for its customers.  Rather, they prefer to produce revenues the old fashioned way, just like Bernie Madoff.

Suffice to say, I am junking the printer, never purchasing HP again (and my enite office is HP), and selling my stock.  If everyone in the USA reacted similarly, I suspect HP would get the message.  Right ow, its head in the sand.

Shame!

Hi @Officeworker1

Not sure which HP person mentioned they would contact you, I'll send you a private message now (check out envelope at top right). Regards, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi @Ciara_B,

What does HP plan to do to resolve or compensate for this issue? I spent 3 hours yesterday remotely trouble shooting and finally remotely downgrading a family members printer. I highly reccomended this printer to them but they live about an hour away. Its sort of unacceptable and bad business for HP to release some kind of update which renders their printers non functional with installed ink cartridges that have been functional for a while. People have jobs - specifically in my case people are teachers and use the printer on a daily basis. Why would HP release an update that causes the printer to report fully functional and working ink cartridges as damaged. Its really ridiculous. Rolling back the firmware - and the cartridges work just like they did before. Please do not tell me that aftermarket cartridges are the cause of many problems - I have been personally using them in several printers for more than 5 years without an issue. Perhaps HP should lower the cost of their ink to compete with aftermarket cartridges. We live in a Capitalistic system - where people decide which products are the best value for their money. Its very anti-competitive to restrict printers to only HP Carts and furthermore horrible business practice to introduce this restriction suddenly via an automatic update to unsuspecting customers.

HP Recommended

Just to add to my post above --> If HP has some issue with patent infringement regarding remanufactured cartridges (I read that this might be the case somewhere on this forum - but I am not sure if that was my case) then HP should be legally going after the people who are infringing on the patent not HP's customers. HP releasing an update that disables the ink cartridges is unacceptable and very bad customer service. It makes HP look bad. Perhaps a better thing to do would be something like what Microsoft did (and might still do) regarding genuine copies of its software. If the software somehow detects that the copy is not genuine --> it does not cause the customer problems it simply informs the customer that they have been scammed and/or are using a non genuine copy of the product and informs the customer to contact HP to report and resolve the issue.

Simply releasing an auto-update that disables many HP customers printers one day arbitrarily is horrible customer service. It reflects HP's brand and the reliability of HP products. Like I said in a previous post. I have been reccomending these OFFICEJET 8600, 8610 series printers to several friends and family for a long time and considering upgrading myself to the 8720. After this incident - Im not sure if I want to bother reccomending HP printers to friends and family anymore since it becomes a headache when their printer just stops functioning one day and reports the ink cartridges as damaged when they are perfectly fine. If it is an issue regarding the ink cartridges manufacturing violating some patent. Alright --> Indicate to the customer that this is the case and direct them to contact you for some resolution. It is then HP who should go after those who are violating the patent.. HP should not be inconveniencing their customers like this.

HP Recommended

Just to add to what you've said here, there are real world life affecting issues involved here.

Some customers have already been affected meeting submittal deadlines for their classwork.

Others, like me, are being forced to go spend $100 (half the cost of my printer) to put HP carts in my printer to guarantee I can print out my airline boarding passes.

This issue may hit the social media and go viral soon.

Hopefully HP will reconsider their action before their profits take a hit.

HP Recommended
I gave up and bought a new printer. When i tried to do a reset, something went horribly wrongm i even contacted hp and they tried to reset it, but the cartridges refused to even move after that. So im pretty sure i bricked it. I had to buy a new printer because i Had to have thinhs printed for class. Im so disappointed and angry with Hp right now. Thanks to those who came up witj a fix, wish i had been able to use it before trying to reset my oj pro 8610. 😞

Missina
HP Recommended

honestly, HP should replace your printer for free - it is their fault. They pushed a faulty firmware that reports cartridges as damaged when they are clearly not "damaged" but rather simply HP doesnt want to allow their customers to use aftermarket cartridges (which according to some other posts in this forum apparently were manufactured in violation of some patent HP holds). I think the patent argument that HP may make is not acceptable. Why inconvenience their customers. If they have a legal case against these cartridge manufacturers they should pursue legal action with them - without inconveniencing their customers. they could then have those manufacturers who violated their patents compensate them for their losses. With how they have handled it, they are basically inconveniencing their customers with what seems like an attempt to curb aftermarket cartridge manufacturers from selling their carts (which apparently violate a patent). 

Why do  customers even have to find out about this issue this way. If those remanufactured carts really violate an HP patent. HP should have no problem outlawing the sale of those carts. Customers would then just no longer be able to purchase them and would have to seek out alternatives which may include official HP carts. 

Customers would then be able to place the blame on those ink sellers and not necessarily on HP. With HP simply reporting these otherwise fully functional carts as damaged it really forces the customer's opinion of HP to change. and to pin the blame on HP.

HP Recommended

On the subject of firmware rollback, can someone tell me if the hack for the 8610 works for the 8625 as well?

Thanks,

Ron

HP Recommended

Just an update to my post. . . 

This afternoon I conversed with a technical support representative, Erwin, at Inkjets.com.  This is the company from which I purchased a 5 Pack of Remanufactured HP950XL and 951XL Combo 5 Pack Cartridges. He was very helpful and confirmed that there is a problem with the HP Firmware Update which has rendered the cartridges unusable.  (I bought these in June as a backup and attempted to install them last night).

He is sending me replacement cartridges with the new chip and I should be receiving them within 2-5 business days. 

I was pleased that the problem was addressed and I didn't get any runaround about it.

I will post an update on this board once I receive and install the replacement cartridges.

HP Recommended

Having brought nearly four sets of none HP Inks from different manufactures, we were surprised to find none of them working over the last week. Our HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Printer would randomly warn us, that an ink cartridge didn’t work. Having replaced the cartridge, it would randomly indicate another cartridge didn’t work and continue to repeat this sequence of errors.

At first we thought there was something wrong with our printer, so we brought a new HP OfficeJet Pro 8620, but it had the same problem!!

Suspecting a software problem, we realized the firmware upgrades had caused it. Using the HP Web Jetadmin software, it was possible to download an old firmware from 2014, we also found a software program from a Portuguese site to install this firmware. All the Inks, from the different manufactures are now working again on both printers!..

You can download the files we used to downgrade the firmware here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e49y213p7ib8ppo/Downgrade_firmware_Hp_OfficeJet_Pro_8620.zip?dl=0

HP Recommended
Does this solution work for Mac OS X as well?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.