Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am at my wits end trying to get my printer (5745) to print. It shows error code 20, not activated. Also print prefs in shortcuts show padlocks on all choisces.

HP Recommended

@DickT27, take a look at this HP doc for the error code.

The locked shortcuts are the default printer shortcuts, you can create your own by changing a setting in a exsiting shortcut and then giving it a new name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Ok, I read the responses and still didn't get it.  So to be clear, there are two issues here.  First off, the default printer option shortcuts are always locked.  They can be selected, but they cannot be changed.  You can select your own options, and create your own shortcuts by hitting the Add button under the shortcut field and giving your shortcut your own name.

However, if your "Add" button is greyed out and unavailable, you have another problem, and that is a printer permissions problem.  You can solve that the following way.  You will need to be signed in on an account with administrative privileges to do this:

1.  Open  your control panel and click  on view devices and printers under hardware.

2.  Right click on your printer icon, choose "Printer Properties"—not the "Properties" option at the bottom of the menu.

3.  Click on the security tab.

4.  Click "Add" under the "Group or user names" field.

5.  In the bottom field under "Enter the object names" type in the exact name of the user you wish to grant permissions to, then hit the "Check Names" button to the right.  With any luck the full account name will appear and you can hit "OK".

6.  Select the new account name from the top "Group or user names" field, then in the bottom window check off the boxes for the permissions you wish to grant this user.  In most cases unless you are in an enterprise context, or you have a young child with a computer and you don't want her or him to blow anything up, it's safe to select all the permissions, then hit "OK".

The next time that user goes into printer properties they should have the option to create their own shortcuts with the options they have chosen.

HP Recommended

Hello Llewen. Thanks for your comprehnsive explanation.

Unfortunately it has not worked for me as i am the sole user of the computer and do not have any other users to do printing.

I have created another user but i dont know how to get it to use the system.

Just my inexperience and old age.

I am using  a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10.

Kind regards

Rodney

HP Recommended

You don't need to create another user.  You just need to make sure the account you created has admin privileges, if it is the only account, it should.  You can double check to be sure by clicking on your Windows start button, then selecting "Settings"—the little button that looks like a gear.  They click on accounts and on the right hand side of that page it should show your account name and under the name and picture it should say what kind of account it is, hopefully Administrator.

However, seeing as it is a Dell, I don't know how they set up their admin accounts, so if your account isn't the administrator acccount, then you will need to call Dell support, and in fact, if what I have written above doesn't allow you to add printer shortcuts, then perhaps you need to call Dell support anyway, and they hopefully can walk you through it.

HP Recommended

Hello,

My features are also unlocked &  I'm sorry but I don't see where the short has a name nor do I know how to save  it with a name

Thanks

Finnian

HP Recommended

Hello,

My features are also unlocked &  I'm sorry but I don't see where the short has a name nor do I know how to save  it with a name

Thanks

Finnian

Sorry I meant LOCKED

HP Recommended

Hi @finnian, did you try the suggestions posted by @Llewen in msg # 13?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for suggestions. I found the post re: shorts cuts & did as suggested. I'm going to delete program & reinstall the same.

This problem occured after a windows update.

thanks

finnian

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.