Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet pro M252dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

How do I Change Default Paper Tray to Tray 2 on Color Laserjet Pro M252dw? It is not thru the menu on the printer and I have not found a way to do so on the HP Utility. Thanks in advance, cannoy use this printer until I can fix this - ugh...

Kathy

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer does not offer a second tray, it only include a single main tray.

The additional tray is a Single-sheet priority tray, which means that one sheet of paper can be inserted and the printer will use that sheet, it is not designed and cannot be used as a 2nd tray.

As a reference you may see the Paper Handling > Paper Tray Capacity section below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M252-series/7089938/model/7089942/document...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Let's straighten this out and you can check the HP Services media library to verify this.

The single sheet feed on the M252 is referred to as tray one.

The pull out cassette tray is referred to as tray 2.

If the driver is requesting paper from tray 1 it's going to expect to detect something stuck through the slot in the front of the printer.

I can't tell you how to set up the Mac properly but what I can say is that the user here wants the paper to be pulled from Tray 2 and the printer seems to be asking for paper from tray 1 which requires a manual insertion or at the very least hitting a button to tell the printer to take it from Tray 2 instead.

By the way just for a note of interest the service is media library shows the replacement procedure for tray 1 so you can see it's more than just a slot you may have been assuming it was like some of the older LaserJet printers where you were just putting a piece of paper on top of the stack and this one is not like that.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following steps and check if that may help,

From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print. The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized: Click the Show Details button to see all available settings.

Click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

The tray selection usually appears within that menu on a Mac, if there is any specific tray selection for the printer it should appear within that menu.

Hope that may helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
My printer keeps saying tray 1 out of paper when tray 2 is full of paper. Very frustrating trying to print brochures 1 sheet at a time. Is there a way to set default to tray 2 or do I need to take it back and swap it for something else
HP Recommended
Tray 2 is the default tray for HP printers. When paper is not being pulled from trade to either tray 2 is not configured properly, or the driver is not configured properly

Usually when the printer doesn't pull from tray to beat the guys are sending directly in the printers detecting the paper size incorrectly. Sometimes the paper type is sent wrong for tray 2, that will cause the printer to ask for the correct paper size and type to be voted into tray 1.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended
Thanks. How do I configure the tray please.
I haven't connected the printer to a computer, only printed via hp eprint app.
I have tried looking at setup but can't find any setting
HP Recommended
I just had a problem where ANY printed page popped an "out of paper" error and asked me to load tray1 for printing. It turns out that tray 2 needs to be elevated about an eighth of an inch as you slide it in or it will not be properly "seated" in the holding frame. It is a minuscule difference from correct and just sitting below the printer, that a visual check will likely not discern the difference. When you insert Tray 2 correctly, the roller will immediately turn about a half turn letting you know it is ready to pull paper from Tray 2! This drive me crazy for several hours. The good news is I have new firmware for the printer and new drivers also which are supposedly optimized for Windows 10.
HP Recommended

Fully agree, my piece of junk $550 printer, the 452DN, always has errors.  All it does is PRINT! NO FAXES, NO COPIES and this piece of garbage keeps saying it is "locked" or out of paper when an entire ream is in there!

What is worse, the cartridges?  $450.00 for a full set of them.  Yup.  You want new ink, you are buying a new printer.  Never in a million years am I buying another piece of garbage from this company.  Their computers freeze up - mine is 2 years old and flat out of memory, even with extra hard drives, and it is slower than a Commodore VIc 20.

Embarrassing brand.  HP was a leader, now they are all junk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.