Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Can I receive compensation from HP for the damage done by the ink that burst out of my new 920xl cartridge when I first opened it for instalation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Ok, if you've followed the correct opening sequence and get a leak then I'd suggest contacting phone support for a replacement .
Out of interest what is the warranty ends date & country of manufacture?
Thanks
Ciara
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I've been having the same problem. I don't know what's causing this, but I lose ink on every cartridge I open, no matter how careful I am when opening it.

Tired of stained hands and clothing...

Carol

HP Recommended

Hi, do you always remove the tab marked Pull before twisting the orange shipcap?

Tab marked PULL.jpg     Twist shipcap.jpg

HP Recommended

Yes. I've even taken the precaution of purchasing the cartridges and letting them sit in my cupboard for a day or two before I insert them in my printer. I'm not having as severe a problem with erupting ink as I did when I first posted this complaint, but I do still have a problem with ink bubbling out when I remove the orange flange/cover. I unwrap the shrinkwrap very carefully, removing the outer wrap before pulling off the orange tab to reveal the air hole in the cartridge.

HP Recommended
Ok, if you've followed the correct opening sequence and get a leak then I'd suggest contacting phone support for a replacement .
Out of interest what is the warranty ends date & country of manufacture?
Thanks
Ciara
HP Recommended

It was several months ago, and I did report it to HP Customer Service. There were two countries--China and India. They sent me replacement cartridges. I also complained about streaks of black ink on the edges of envelopes. I was told to change out the printhead, which cost me $80 plus a complete new set of ink cartridges. It did not resolve my problem with smeared edges and HP basically wrote back that there wasn't anything they could do because my printer was out of warranty,

Needless to say, I'm still not pleased with HP products. The quality of their products has seriously diminished over the years. My first printer was an HP Laserjet Series II, purchased in 1987. I've historically been an HP customer, even doing beta testing of new printers for them. Needless to say, at this point I won't be buying another HP printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Tehachap

Ok so new printhead & cartridges still doesn't resolve the problem with ink on the envelopes. Any luck if you clean the rollers in the printer? Maybe there's residual ink there thats getting dragged onto the envelopes? What size envelopes are they? Would you have a photo you could maybe post here?

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

No one suggested cleaning the rollers inside of the printer -- I also don't have a clue as to how to do that. For now, I'll have to lay this problem aside as I don't have access to that printer. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it at the next opportunity. 

HP Recommended

Hi Carol, which printer model do you have? Typically we'd suggest using lint free swab (something that doesn't shed) and bottled water.

The link below is for the PS 5510, but if you let me know your printer model I should be able to grab a specific document for your printer....

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5159859&spf...

HP Recommended

The printer in question is an HP509c and is at my summer home.

Thanks,

Carol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.