Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 1320n

When choosing a "media type" in the printer driver, how does that affect how to printer handles the media?

Today I've been experimenting with printing on very thin paper, and it seems that the setting "light" in the "media type" meny in the driver settings does make it easier to print on thinner paper without jam. So I'm curious to know how it does this? What changes when I change the "media type" setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fuser Temperature and Media Speed can both be varied based on Media Type.

Generally as the Media Gets Thicker the Fuser Temperaturer is increased and the Media Feed Speed is Decreased, (slowed down).

Lighter media will probably feed at full speed but the Fuser Temperature will be set lower.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I will try and explain.When you change the thickness of the paper the fuser unit adapts accordingly with the gap to let this paper through.It also changes the speed of the machine according to the quality and paper type.Most machines has the ability to print in draft <photo and even a few more settings.The machine can also print different thickness of paper out of the cassette than through the bypass feeder.The whole process is a bit more complicated than what i have tried to explain but this will at least give you an idea.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

The problem I had before with paper jams etc was probably due to that the thinner papers would crincle up. Probably that was due to the heat from the fuser unit because they came out very, very hot.

Very interesting to read your post ... so you mean the fuser unit uses a lower temperature and/or paper passes it at a higher speed for a thinner paper so that it won't get too hot?

HP Recommended

This is very technical to explain but its has something to do with both.Speed and heat.My explanation might not be the perfect but at least it gives a idea how.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

Fuser Temperature and Media Speed can both be varied based on Media Type.

Generally as the Media Gets Thicker the Fuser Temperaturer is increased and the Media Feed Speed is Decreased, (slowed down).

Lighter media will probably feed at full speed but the Fuser Temperature will be set lower.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.