Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows 10 HP LaserJet 2100 In
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had nothing but trouble installing my HP LaserJet 2100 for Windows 10. Searching for connected printers did not work. Installing updated drivers did not work. I tried everything I could think of including searching Google, HP and Microsoft. None of those searches paid off.

Somehow I stumbled onto the Device Manager and just looked around. I found my HP LaserJet listed under Print Queues, I highlighted it and then under Action I selected Add Legacy Hardware, selected Printers from the list on the following pages, then Used an existing port, selected HP LaserJet from the list and the rest was magic.

Hope this helps someone.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Interesting.  I have never used the legacy hardware feature before. 

Thanks for sharing.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I recently had what seemed to be a major undate for Windows 10 and now I have lost the ability to use my HP LaserJet 2100. I tried using the same procedure I reported previously but without success. I am at a loss for installing this printer.

Can anyone help? Thanks

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. After the update from windows 7 to windows 10 the HP laserjet 2100 wouldn't print anymore.

I deinstalled it and rebooted the computer. After this teh printer was installed automatically with the newest driver and it says the printer is working fine.

But after another try to print any page, even the testpage from the print adjustments.

So i checkt the printer if there was the problem but there is none. It prints his own testpage.

So what is wrong. How can I get the printer working again?

Can anyone please help? Thanks

HP Recommended
Windows 10 has a problem with parallel ports, you have to open up device manager find the ports section and look at the properties for the parallel port, it will probably be called lpt1.

In the properties it will be set to not use interrupts and you need to change it to use any requested interrupt.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion. My computer was set to accept any interrupt on LPT1. I tried changing it and using LPT3 but I did not have any success. I am at a complete loss even though I want to keep this printer as it was a workhorse for me.

Than kyou again,

Ed

HP Recommended
If you only have one parallel port it should be lpt1.

And I should verify you are actually using a parallel port.

In your position I would install a Jetdirect 600n or 610n and attach the printer to a network.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I am using an ECP Printer Port (LPT1). I tried LPT3 without success.

I just ordered a paralle lto usb cable from Amazon just to try. Maybe this will help.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Ed

HP Recommended

When you go to device manager and click on ports and then double click on lpt1 you then should click on port settings and there are 3 choices with the middle one being default.  Choose the last (bottom) choice and then close everything.  Turn the computer off and then back on and reload the printer if necessary and see if it works.  Everyone that we have given this solution does not have an issue and it works so you may be doing something wrong.

HP Recommended

Thank you it worked fine for me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.