Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tried installing my old Laser Jet 1020 using the install CD. Didn't work. It showed as an unknown device in Devices and Printers, but was labelled as Laser Jet 1020. Also showed in my Programs and Features. Tried to uninstall from Programs and Features and got error message saying "Set Up Encountered and abnormal program execution. Set up will shutdown". 

Researched Hp Drivers and it says I don't need to download any drivers if I set my Laptop (Windows) to automatically download necessary driver updates. I have that set up already. 

I can't complete an installation, and I can't get what I have installed off my laptop. 

Any advice is much appreciated. I have other printers, but wanted to be able to use this one.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ehrenmann,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your instal;lation issue.

I understand that you have been trying to install an HP LaserJet 1020 Printer on a Windows 10 computer but it showed as an unknown device, so you tried to uninstall the software and drivers but got error message saying "Set Up Encountered and abnormal program execution. Set up will shutdown". I would like to help with that.

Whenever I have issues uninstalling anything in Windows I use a utility tool by Microsoft called MS Fix It. This tool can automatically repair issues including corrupted registry keys that block you from installing or removing programs. Here is a link to the download page - Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed.

The software disc that came with this printer is not compatible with Windows 10. 

If you want to have this printer install on a Windows 10 computer, the printer needs to be installed using the HP Printer Driver and Software provided within your operating system.. You can learn how to do that by clicking here.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I downloaded the Windows utility that you recommended and it couldn't find the printer or any of it's partially installed software. During my installation attempt, part of the software got installed just enough to show in my Programs list, but not enough to show it in my "Devices and Printers".  I'm assuming that is because I had the Installation Disc in during my first attempt and enough info got used, but it bogged down searching for the driver.

I've tried putting the disc back in to remove whatever got installed, even though that makes no sense. 

In my Programs list where, normally, you can uninstall it shows HP 1020, but nothing in the columns beside it other than the date. 

If I assume that its just showing the device name, but no software is there, I can't even "delete" that device name. There's no option to do so. I'm afraid to try it for fear it will leave something behind that should be uninstalled.

Wish I'd never changed to Windows 10

HP Recommended

HELLO,

Since you have the latest OS installed in your system, i would suggest you to install printer via add printer wizard.before you do this procedure make sure your windows is updated.Kindly follow the steps given below.

DEVICES AND PRINTERS > ADD PRINTER > SELECT PORT , choose and exisiting port , DOT4 > SELECT HP AS THE MANUFACTURER AND CHOOSE P2015 PCL5 DRIVER > INSTALL THE PRINTER > DO NOT SHARE THE PRINTER > FINISH 

I hope this would resolve the issue 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you Sharmila_04. I will try this.   

HP Recommended

The problem is not windows 10, it's HP that do not want us to use our old printer that still work : they want us to buy new one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.