Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I just added a new MacBook Air to my network and at the same time moved my HP printer to the other side of the desk.  All was working fine for months (with non HP toners; there is plenty of toner left in each). After reconnecting and restarting printer it came up with a "Supply Memory Error" for all four cartridges.  Standard removing/reinstalling, restarting, etc does nothing to reset the "error".  No drops, bangs or issues occured during the relocation of the printer - just the new error.

Firmware is 20160331

This error seems to be a known issue but I can't find that HP is addressing it.  Can anyone point me at a solution ?

Before someone suggests it, buying all new HP toners to replace functional 3rd party toners is not a valid solution for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I didn't see the specific solution on the collection of similar issues.  However, it did point me in a direction that worked for me.

Issue:  The issue seems likely to be related to HP putting out a bad firmware update.  

General Solution:  Previous people solved this problem by downgrading the firmware on the printer.  HP's support only shows the current firmware (20160331) as option for my Mac with OS 10.11.  

My Solution: Fake out HP by telling them I have an older operating system (OS 10.10).  This allowed me to access the 20150716 version of the printer firmware from their site.  I then made sure the printer had the "allow downgrade" selected in its "system setup" and downgraded the firmware.  This fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I didn't see the specific solution on the collection of similar issues.  However, it did point me in a direction that worked for me.

Issue:  The issue seems likely to be related to HP putting out a bad firmware update.  

General Solution:  Previous people solved this problem by downgrading the firmware on the printer.  HP's support only shows the current firmware (20160331) as option for my Mac with OS 10.11.  

My Solution: Fake out HP by telling them I have an older operating system (OS 10.10).  This allowed me to access the 20150716 version of the printer firmware from their site.  I then made sure the printer had the "allow downgrade" selected in its "system setup" and downgraded the firmware.  This fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

Did anybody check if the 20160921 firmware release also rejects 3rd party toners? I'm fed up with the AirPrint bug in the old firmware that is supposedly fixed now. 

HP Recommended

Try the legacy firmware on this page:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/laserjet-pro-mfp-M277-dw/td-p/5723143  

I haven't tried it yet, but it says:

HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility: 

This update is recommended for the HP Color LaserJet Pro M277 MFP series that have a firmware version older than the one posted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.