Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I got a new 6500 wireless 709n printer. Installed it with USB connection on my desktop. Used Lynksys wireless router connection that connects to my laptop using wireless and ethernet for the 6500. I could print from my laptop and also from my desktop. So far so good. I tried to scan from my laptop. I could preview the image and after that the scan program gets stuck. It is not hanging but I see heavy usage of the processor resources. Even after half an hour nothing happened. Just by chance, I told myself, let me try the help button on the program. As soon as I clicked, there was some development, I saw the thumbnail of the scanned image appearing on the program window. More clicks on the help and moving the program around, the frame appeared on the scanned image. After about one hour's struggle, I save the image.

After this, I read the thread of the solution given here. Went back to stop the wireless and all ethernet divices and used only the USB port on the desk top for the same job. The preview appeared and after that, until I click the help button, nothing happened. Each time, I clicked on a different menu on the help button, next step happened. Why is the image processing depend on the help screen and that I have to click a different menu button to make it work?

Turning off the wireless is not a solution to the problem. HP has given a half baked driver. They should immediately release an update with the driver that works properly and intimate all the cutomers who have bought the all-in-one.

Looking forward for a reply from HP support.

SVKK

HP Recommended

Hi

I just spent 10 minutes with HP support and they fixed the problem with the scanner remotely.  I recommend that you contact them (800-474-6836) and allow them to correct the problem through "Instant Support."  They created an icon called HP Support on my desktop.  All I have to do to scan is click on the icon, select " "scan", specify the file type that I want and select scan......  "Wa la" !! 

HP Recommended

Can we not have it in black and white as a writeup on how to solve this problem so that anyone with a similar problem can handle it, instead of a phone support, which I will have to remember. If it is in black and white, it can be printed stored for future use and easy dissemination.

Looking forward for a posting from HP solution center on the scanner problem.

HP Recommended

I agree totally with the request for a fix.  I too have a wireless network and connecting via a cable is not an option.  I've had two extended conversations with HP tech support,  Their best suggestion - restart my computer every time I need to scan.  It will scan once, but if I attempt back-to-back scans, the dreaded "scan error" occurs while in the midst of scanning the second document.  Nothing special in the way of system configuration (windows XP, etc).  Tech support did not offer the icon on the desktop solution, nor would they review this tech support forum as I suggested.  I'm not unreasonable in my desire that ALL functions of this machine work as advertised.

HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

I have this printer at home in New Zealand.  I bought for its wireless capability and after reading positive reviews in a number of places (e.g. PC World). Was installed a couple of weeks ago using a Mac G4 iBook with OS10.4.1 and it prints and scans properly using wireless.

Have now connected my work Dell M6300 running XP (with 3GB switch to access more than 2GB RAM).  I too have a scanning problem when using this computer.  If I select "SCAN PICTURE" I get the same heavy processor use after the scan says complete on the HP6500W unit.  This happens whether I use wireless or whether I connect using the ethernet cable to the Linksys ADSL router and ethernet cable to the HP6500.

What makes this even more weird is that if I run "SCAN DOCUMENT" it works wirelessly (have not bothered to check that it also works via ethernet).

I thought it was me and I had uninstalled the software and re-installed it but still the same behaviour.

This is a great unit but this fault is a real turn off and I really hope that HP sorts out what looks to be a windows diver issue very soon.  However despite this thread running since June I do not see an update on the downloads page for this unit.

I was thinking to get another one to replace the HP6110 in my office but don't think that will be happening unless this problem gets sorted out.

HP Recommended

My problem with scan was not as severe as those listed here.  My 6500 is not the wireless model.  It is connected to my router via ethernet cable.  I have two desktops also connected by cable, and two laptops that connect via wireless to the router.  All four computers can access the printer fine, but all four have an irritating problem during scanning.  I open the Solution Center and hit the Scan Picture button, and the 'Scanning from..." window pops open, and I hit the Scan button.  It takes about a full minute for anything to happen, but eventually a new small window opens up to say the scanner is ready.  This delay was annoying but not totally unbearable.

Today I downloaded the latest update to the HP Solution Center software, and that delay is much shorter!  Quite an improvement.

I suggest everyone download the latest update.

HP Recommended

It seems like I have a similar problem. I bought the printer Dec 5/09 specifically for wireless network printing. Printing, & copying work great, but scanning fails.

I have a new IMac with OSX Snow Leopard and a PC running Vista. My router is 2Wire, running on a WEP encrypted network. Printing works great from both computer systems. I cannot access EWS the web page from either system. I have printed the HP Network config page. It shows everything ready, connected, and enabled. I have enabled the scanning application in the Mac firewall...no luck.

When i activate the HP Scan Pro application I get an error "Sorry Scanner could not be initialized. (An error has occurred communicating with the scanner.)"

HP Recommended

I'm in a similar boat.   I got the 6500 all-in-one to work well (all features, including scanning) wireless from two of my computers, both operating XP.   However from my new computer, operating Win 7, I can only get the printing to work; I cannot get scanning to work.   I've tried all the solutions listed in this thread.

HP Recommended

Is there any other way to get the correction so we can all use it?   Does the scanner work with other scanning software, like Paperport?

HP Recommended

I have owned many HP All-In-One devices, the latest being the 6500 709n.  I have never been able to get any of these devices to scan properly - not one, ever.  In this latest "soul sucking" fiasco, the software either crashes, or I get an error message ("unknown error").

I am writing this on June 25, 2010.  HP has been making these all-in-one devices for many years now.  The scanning issue should be fixed.

I am now done with HP.  Every printing, scanning or faxing device I buy from this point on, both personally, and for my businesses will be something other than HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.