Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

I recently acquired an Officejet Pro 8600 and immediately connected it to my wireless network as stated in the manual. No other connection type was used beforehand and the OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

After the driver installation the printer shows up twice whenever a programs asks me to select a printer from the drop-down list of printing devices in the typical printing preparation menu.

There is an entry for "Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)" and  something along the lines of "HP95CDN (Officejet Pro 8600)". I can't quite remember the exact names from the top of my head but it's the name of the printer with "network" in brackets in one case and some kind of shortened printer ID with the full name in brackets in the other case.

Depending on the program, one of the options yields the desired print while the other one just causes an undeletable printing queue for the respective device name that gets stuck at a few kB of the data transmission.

Usually the printing works with the device with the printer ID in its name but I recently had a case where with LibreOffice the printing would only work with the other selection.

Can anyone please explain to me what exactly this means?

Cheers,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Wireless direct entry will be visible under wireless menu if wireless direct is On... However as you are able to Print from the other icon (not the network icon) i assume wireless direct is Off coz you will not be able to print from wireless direct on printer if you are connected to the router.

I believe the Printer icon (not the network icon) has a WSD port assigned and is automatically discovered by OS and installed.

Go to service Window and check if you have any entry that says function Discovery Provider Host and see if it is started. Try to Stop the Servcie and than delete the printer icon (not the network icon)also from the Print Server properties.

Restart the PC and check if the icon comes back or try Uninstall and Re-install

Let us know the result

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Petyr123,

I am sorry you are having an issue with your print drivers. This could possibly be a driver conflict.

1.) Can I get the product number on the unit?

2.) Are you receiving any error from the printer or the computer?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

The model number is CM749A.

I'm not receiving any errors. Interestingly, having run a few tests today, both selections now universally work again, making the recent printing problem resulting in a stuck queue even more bizarre.

Anyway, I have continued searching for the problem. In Windows 7's device and printers menu, the printer shows up once but right-clicking it and moving the mouse to the printer properties row reveals three different options for selection; "HPA95CBC (HP Officejet Pro 8600)", "HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)" and "Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)".

The first two entries are the ones that I have mentioned. The first entry is set to print to "WSD Port" and the second one to "HP network re-discovery port monitor".

This seems to be an intended function but I have no idea what it means.

HP Recommended

Petyr123,

I would suggest fully uninstalling all the HP printer software and reinstalling it from the most up to date software on the HP website.

Uninstall

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02440673

Install

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4323659&task=&

Let me know if this helps

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I did as suggested but the new driver installation revealed the same situation (it's the same driver version as I have used before).

HP Recommended

Petyr123,

I want to make sure I get this correct.

1.) All three drivers showed up again after the reinstall?

2.) Did you make sure the were all 3 gone when you uninstalled the software?

3.) Are the names the exact same for all 3 drivers?

Signature
HP Recommended

Yes to all three questions! Every trace of the old driver was removed and after reinstalling it, the situation is exactly the same as before.

HP Recommended

Petyr123,

1.) Do both icons look identical to the printer?

2.) Do you have the USB cable installed when you start the installation?

Signature
HP Recommended

The icon looks like the printer; albeit its Plus version. I have attached a picture of the situation for clarity.

As with the first driver installation, the printer was installed solely through a wireless connection without any cables attached.

HP Recommended
Are you able to print using the HPA95CBC? Check if Wireless direct is ON and if on turn it Off and check..
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.