Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I installed my new HP LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw and it wouldn't print the test page.

The status reads, "idle, Document Feeder Empty" - I don't even need anything from document feeder and even when I put a paper there it still reads that.

It will print Supply Levels from the touch screen and will copy just fine.

Another weird thing:
When I send a document, it goes through the entire printing process as tho it printed.

This printer was working just fine in my assistant's office before I bought her a new one.

I had an MFP M477 that I replaced with this one.

Please help

Dwaine

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

*UPDATE*

There are no other 277s in the office, but when I turn the printer off the dialogue still says it has printed and is done.

What's up with that?

It's like HP Easy Setup is setting up the wrong printer.

Dwaine

HP Recommended

@DwaineStroud

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's an error message - "Document feeder empty",

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you clean the rollers?

Have you ensured the paper condition is not curled or wrinkled?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Check the condition of the paper and reload it

The type and condition of paper can affect the way your printer picks paper. The edges of low-quality paper that has absorbed moisture might curl or lift the sheet so the paper does not feed into the printer.

Use these steps to check and then restack your paper.

1. Remove the stack of paper from the paper tray.

2. Use 25 sheets of new plain white paper to form a stack of paper.

3. Tap the stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges.

NOTE:

Do not fan the paper by running your fingers through the paper stack.

4. Insert the stack of paper into the paper tray.

5. Slide in the paper width guide to the edge of the paper stack. Make sure that the guide rests gently against the paper stack and does not bind it.

6. Try printing again.

• If the issue is not resolved, try loading different brands of paper and different types of paper, one type at a time, into the printer and then try printing again.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Clean the rollers

Dust, paper fiber, and other debris might accumulate on the pick rollers and cause paper feed issues. To help prevent paper feed issues, clean the rollers inside the printer and in the duplexer (if equipped).

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, the answer was simple.

There was indeed another 277 in the building.

I printed many many pages on his computer.

Anyway, I reset the printer to defaults, and HP Easy Start saw it.

Dwaine

HP Recommended

@DwaineStroud

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

That's good, although does that mean the printer works now? considering the HP Easy Start is detected it?

If it is, I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept my suggestions,

If the issue persists or you have any other concerns, I recommend you reply back and I'll be happy to help you out.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I Have the same problem. When trying to scan from the Flatbed it errors out the following message:

Automatic Document Feeder is Empty

It will scan from doc feeder but not from flatbed due to the error above.

I also am upgraded to Catalina. I just downloaded the most recent driver and still get this error.

Help!

HP Recommended

@mjdubs, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand the inconvenience caused. I would recommend you to go through a similar post that speaks about the scanning issues after Mac OS update.

Also, try using the HP Smart App to scan. Refer to the document HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Mac) for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.