10-09-2019 08:44 AM - last edited on 11-14-2019 03:15 AM by WendyS
HP Printers - HP Easy Scan Is Not Currently Supported in macOS Catalina
HP is currently working with Apple to restore HP Easy Scan functionality in macOS Catalina.
When starting a scan job using HP Easy Scan in macOS 10.15, one of the following messages display on the computer or printer control panel:
- Automatic Document Feeder is Empty
- Scan Unsuccessful
- Preparing to scan
macOS Catalina does not currently support scanning with HP Easy Scan. Scan using Apple Image Capture as a workaround.
To scan using Image Capture:
- Place the document or photo print side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid.
If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), use it to scan multiple page documents at one time.
Do not load photos in the ADF.
- Open Finder
- Click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.
- Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.
- Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.
A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings:
- Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder.
- Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.
- Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.
- Size: Use a standard paper size or select the Use Custom Size option.
- Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message.
- Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.
- Format: Select the file type for the scan.
To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats.
- Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.
10-14-2019 12:11 PM
Invoking a scan from the computer works fine. You can use Image Capture or HP Easy Scan to invoke the scanner from the computer though.
I am used to putting documents in the printer for scanning and using the "Scan to computer" function. This no long works under macOS 10.15. I'm guessing that a network communication error occurs when the printer initiates the connection. (This has happened in prior operating system releases. It eventually gets found and corrected.)
I have an iMac running 10.13 and it works fine! I can scan both ways. Catalina 10.15 - not so much.
10-14-2019 12:24 PM
I am sorry. I should have mentioned that in the original post. Scan to Computer will currently not work as well. It is related to the same issue as HP Easy Scan in encountering.
10-14-2019 04:32 PM
Indeed you are right.
Scan to computer does not work at all.
This has happened before and I am confident that the HP and Apple guys will figure it out.
In the mean time, I will scan to my older iMac running 10.13.
10-17-2019 04:41 PM
I ran into this problem when I tried to scan from the flat bed after upgrading to Catalina. I get the
- Automatic Document Feeder is Empty
After trying several uninstall and reinstalls of HP Easy Start, I resorted to scanning from the scanner glass to a USB Thumbdrive and uploading to my Macs. I can scan from the document feeder with no problem to both my MacBook Pro and iMac. I can also send Scans to my MacBook Pro, but not my iMac from the document feeder but not the scanner glass.
Thanks for the information on Image Capture.
Will there be some kind of announcement when this problem is fixed.