Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

I am trying to print a calendar.

Problem 1 - The picture pages are smearing.

Problem 2 - The calendar pages are now showing smears on the reverse side.  I have done about have of those pages, and now I am getting smears on the reverse side, so I cannot even take those to a professional printing service to get the pictures done.

I am using 67# paper.

What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Frodo2780,

Thanks for getting back to me. What we need to do, is determine if this issue is hardware or software related.

In order for me to assist you better, I require more information.

For clarification, ADF is the automatic document feeder.

You had mentioned that printing on regular paper doesn't always produce the same results. It is possible that printing on regular paper cleans up the mess left behind by the card stock.

What were the results when you printed on regular paper, consecutively?  

Do you see ink smeared on the back?

If so, please remove the toner and check the drum for ink.

NOTE: The drum should be clean. 

If you see ink on the drum, contact HP.

Figure : Slide back the cartridge cover

Image: Slide back the cartridge cover

If the drum is clean and printing on regular paper doesn't produce the ink smear. The issue is being caused by the card stock.

• Try different card stock.

Datasheet:

Media Types Supported Paper (brochure, inkjet, plain), photo paper (borderless, HP premium, panoramic, plus tab), envelopes, labels, cards (greeting, index), transparencies.

Media Weight Supported 14 to 43 lb (Uncoated/Matte, recommended), up to 47 lb Postcards, 53 lb HP Matte; 16 to 43 lb (Coated/Glossy, recommended), up to 47 lb Postcards, 59 lbHP Glossy

Media Sizes Supported Letter, Legal, Executive, 8.5 x 13 in, 3 x 5 in, 4 x 6 in, 5 x 8 in; Envelopes (No. 9 & 10, Monarch)

Media Sizes Custom 3 x 5 to 5 x 14 in

Paper Handling 150-sheet input tray, multipurpose tray; 100-sheet output tray; Duplex Options: Automatic (standard); Auto Document Feeder Capacity: Standard, 50 sheets; Envelope Feeder: No; Standard Paper Trays: 2; Input Capacities: Up to 150 Sheets (15 mm stack height) in Tray 2.; Output Capacities: Up to 100 sheets (10 mm stack height); 10 mm stack height; 10 mm stack height

I hope this helps. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Frodo2780,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw Printer has smudges on the reverse side of the printed pages. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution' if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you. There could be an issue with the toner cartridges or issue with the paper.

I see that you mentioned you're using "#67 paper".

• What type of paper is this, card stock?
  • What is the paper size and weight?

Please confirm that the paper you're using is a supported paper type and size.

Paper-handling specifications

Review the following tables to make sure that you are using the correct paper types and sizes and are not overloading the input tray.

If you're using a supported paper size and type, continue on.

Are you able to print on plain paper without smearing? If not, there is likely a toner issue.

Use this guide to determine if there is a hardware issue:

• HP Color LaserJet Pro M252, M274, M277 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality
  • Are you using Genuine HP Toner?
  • What are the toner levels?

Note: HP recommends that you use genuine HP toner. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP toner or refilled HP toner. If you do not use genuine HP toner, the following solutions might not resolve the issue.

If you have a defective toner, it might be under warranty. To check the warranty on your ink supplies, go to hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies, select your country/region, then review the limited warranty information for your supplies.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I am using the toner that came with the printer.  I have only had it a few months.  The levels are not low.

The paper I am using is 8.5 X 11 cardstock, with "Laser, Inkjet, Copier" on the package.

I do not know what ADF means.

Sometimes on regular paper, it smears on the reverse side.

I tried to do the Solution 3 - Check the Print settings.  In the document that I opened, there was no "Show Details" when I clicked on File, and then Print.  So I'm not sure what to do next.

From all the tables and information that you have sent, it looks like I am relegated to single sheet printing, since that is the only place that indicates #67 paper.

Seems strange since this is such a big machine,  that it is not to be able to deal with card stock.

Frodo2780

HP Recommended

Hi @Frodo2780,

Thanks for getting back to me. What we need to do, is determine if this issue is hardware or software related.

In order for me to assist you better, I require more information.

For clarification, ADF is the automatic document feeder.

You had mentioned that printing on regular paper doesn't always produce the same results. It is possible that printing on regular paper cleans up the mess left behind by the card stock.

What were the results when you printed on regular paper, consecutively?  

Do you see ink smeared on the back?

If so, please remove the toner and check the drum for ink.

NOTE: The drum should be clean. 

If you see ink on the drum, contact HP.

Figure : Slide back the cartridge cover

Image: Slide back the cartridge cover

If the drum is clean and printing on regular paper doesn't produce the ink smear. The issue is being caused by the card stock.

• Try different card stock.

Datasheet:

Media Types Supported Paper (brochure, inkjet, plain), photo paper (borderless, HP premium, panoramic, plus tab), envelopes, labels, cards (greeting, index), transparencies.

Media Weight Supported 14 to 43 lb (Uncoated/Matte, recommended), up to 47 lb Postcards, 53 lb HP Matte; 16 to 43 lb (Coated/Glossy, recommended), up to 47 lb Postcards, 59 lbHP Glossy

Media Sizes Supported Letter, Legal, Executive, 8.5 x 13 in, 3 x 5 in, 4 x 6 in, 5 x 8 in; Envelopes (No. 9 & 10, Monarch)

Media Sizes Custom 3 x 5 to 5 x 14 in

Paper Handling 150-sheet input tray, multipurpose tray; 100-sheet output tray; Duplex Options: Automatic (standard); Auto Document Feeder Capacity: Standard, 50 sheets; Envelope Feeder: No; Standard Paper Trays: 2; Input Capacities: Up to 150 Sheets (15 mm stack height) in Tray 2.; Output Capacities: Up to 100 sheets (10 mm stack height); 10 mm stack height; 10 mm stack height

I hope this helps. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Dear Drakster,

Thanks for your help.  

I decided to see if the printer had any way of changing the paper thickness.  So I went to "Settings", then to "System Set-up" then to "Paper Set-up", then to "Paper Type".  I scrolled down that list until I found a listing that indicated "Extra Heavy 131 - 175g".  Luckily I still had the package that the paper came in, and though I focus on the #67, there is another number--147g/m2.  So I chose that setting for the "Paper Type", and I am now able to print without smears.  

Not sure if you mentioned doing this, but since it has now been fixed, I am happy.  Thanks for your help.

Frodo2780

HP Recommended

I'm glad I checked the forum before calling HP and berating them with questions.  I recently purchased my machine and used a heavy cardstock and it did the same thing.  The ink smeared!  This was new to me because I have 451 and have owned other laser printers by HP and this never happened.  Thanks to you, I used the same settings (extra heavy cardstock) and my project printed beautifully.

HP Recommended

Thank you for posting  your solution, the HP "solution" above was of no help.  I was having the same problem and was getting very frustrated.  I have generic cardstock I got from work, I have no idea how many grams or whatever.  Given that there was no generic "cardstock" option I selected 'HP Cover Matte 200g".  In retrospect perhaps this was not the most generic option, but at the time it looked pretty generic.  The first print would usually work fine, but then subsequent prints would smear and be completely wasted.  Anyway, tried the extra heavy option you indicated and it worked first time!  Thanks so much.

Love that there are so many options and the printer is so smart, but would be nice to have a few generic options for this sort of situation...

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing this information.  I had tried everything I could find to correct this smearing and ghosting images with no luck.  I found your post and viola my problem is solved.  I can't thank you enough for sharing this valuable tip.  Kudos! 

HP Recommended

I recently posted a similar query about smearing from my x476dw, no answer from HP, which means my suggested solution applies - bin it and buy another, how depressing. All due to inadequate design

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.