Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 4P Laser Printer
Microsoft Windows XP

What cable do I need to connect my HP 4P laser printer to my home network router's USB port. My printer is already connected to my desktop computer running Windows XP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can not use usb period.  I told you that above.  You will need the jetdirect 300x or another parallel external jet direct box to connect to your router using a ethernet cable.  Once connected just look for instructions on the net to print out a config page and how to use the information from that config page to add the printer.  You may want to ask a friend who is computer savy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You can not connect it the way you want.  Parallel to usb adapters only work when directly connected to a pc since they need software drivers to work.  Your only option is to purchase an older external parallel jetdirect box and attach it to your network.  Below is a link for one model currently selling on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Print-Servers-/64052/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hp+jetdirect+300x

HP Recommended

Hello davidzuts,

Many thanks for the information you provided pursuant to my printer query. Since I'm not a whiz on computers, do I just connect the desk jet 300 whatjamacallit with the USB cable to the router and power cord to an outlet ? Don't I need something to connect to the printer.

Cheers, Will77

HP Recommended

You can not use usb period.  I told you that above.  You will need the jetdirect 300x or another parallel external jet direct box to connect to your router using a ethernet cable.  Once connected just look for instructions on the net to print out a config page and how to use the information from that config page to add the printer.  You may want to ask a friend who is computer savy.

HP Recommended

Your follow up response is most appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand all the complexities, but I do have a local friend I'm sure will help me out.

Thanks again for taking time to answer my query.

Cheers, Will77

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.