Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This is driving me nuts (as Peter Kaye) said. Printer works fine with iPad iPhone etc.

It’s on the same network and after I’ve selected it  it says it will print. I then get a message to say the printer couldn’t be found.

Does anyone have any thoughts or any advice.

TIA

Kind regards

David

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @davidwm1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

Set up the printer with the HP Smart app (HP+ printers only)

• To print from a Chromebook, you must set up the HP+ printer with the HP Smart app on a different computer or mobile device. This is necessary to activate the HP+ features and connect the printer to the internet.
  • CAUTION:
  • Failure to register your HP+ printer with HP might cause your printer to stop working.
  • Install the HP Smart app from 123.hp.com or your app store.
  • Open the HP Smart app, and then follow the prompts to create an account, set up the hardware, and activate the HP+ features.
  • For more information, go to HP+ printer setup (HP Smart app).

Add the printer to the Chromebook

• Connect the printer to your Chromebook with a Wi-Fi or USB cable connection to complete the setup. No drivers or apps are required to set up your printer.
  • Update the Chromebook to the most current version of Chrome OS.
  • Connect the printer to the same network that the Chromebook is connected to, or use a direct USB connection.
  • Wi-Fi connection for printers with a touchscreen control panel: Open the Setup, Network, or Wireless settings menu, select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the instructions to select the network name and enter the password.
  • Wi-Fi connection for most printers without a touchscreen control panel: Press and hold the Wireless button for five seconds or until the wireless light starts to flash. Within two minutes, press and hold the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button on the router until the connection process begins. The printer wireless light stops flashing when the connection completes.
  • Wi-Fi connection for HP Deskjet 6000 and 6400, ENVY 6000 and 6400, and Tango printers: Press and hold the Wi-Fi button and the Power button on the back of the printer for five seconds until the blue bar flashes. Within two minutes, press and hold the WPS button on the router until the connection process begins. The blue bar stops flashing when the connection completes.
  • Wired (Ethernet) network connection: Connect the network cable to the printer Ethernet port and to an available port on the router or access point. At the printer port, the green light should be steady and the orange activity light should blink.
  • USB connection: Connect the cable to the USB port on the rear of the printer and to an available port on the Chromebook.
  • On the Chromebook, click the clock in the bottom right corner, and then click the Settings icon .
  • Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and then click Advanced.
  • Under Printing, click Printers > Add Printer.
  • If your printer displays, select it, and then click Add.
  • If your printer does not display, click Add Manually, and then follow the instructions. For more information, go to Chromebook Help - Set up your printer (in English).

Click here for further assistance. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @davidwm1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

Set up the printer with the HP Smart app (HP+ printers only)

• To print from a Chromebook, you must set up the HP+ printer with the HP Smart app on a different computer or mobile device. This is necessary to activate the HP+ features and connect the printer to the internet.
  • CAUTION:
  • Failure to register your HP+ printer with HP might cause your printer to stop working.
  • Install the HP Smart app from 123.hp.com or your app store.
  • Open the HP Smart app, and then follow the prompts to create an account, set up the hardware, and activate the HP+ features.
  • For more information, go to HP+ printer setup (HP Smart app).

Click here for further assistance. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I don’t know whether I’m doing right with this post. I sent a message earlier and was asked to go back to the original post?

I understand how to use the HP Smart with the Chromebook and usually I’m ok with it.

I’m still having loads of problems with printing from eg. my iPad and iPhones. Air printer not found comes up regularly. I’ve only had this a few months but it seems totally unreliable and I think I’ve reached the point of replacing it with another manufacturer’s printer.

kind regards 

David

HP Recommended

Hi @davidwm1,

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that the issue persists even after attempting the troubleshooting steps mentioned above.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

This might require one-on-one interaction to fix the issue via remote assistance. 

I've sent you a private message with further instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.