Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 2 identical fairly new HP 360s, both running W10 64-bit. Both send video correctly to the TV over HDMI connection. Neither sends the audio, instead sending it to the laptop's internal speakers. This is an HP issue, as the HDMI cable is fine and works with all other devices. The cable and TV work properly with my Mac and Toshiba laptop and with my HP Pavilion desktop unit.

Please advise as to the correct fix for this tiresome proble.

Thanks,

Steve Conelley

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @Conehead1952

Welcome to the HP Support Community where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and wanted to reach out to you. I understand that you are having an issue with the sound while trying to use the HDMI capability from your HP ENVY x360 Notebook PC. 

Did you receive any error messages?

Did you see if the HDMI was listed in the Digital Output Device?

Here is a document for you called Troubleshooting HDMI Display and Sound Issues. It has three different sections that you can use for troubleshooting: 

Could you please run the Hardware and Devices  troubleshooter? The troubleshooter will help find and fixHDMIissues. 

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
  • Select Troubleshooting.
  • Select View all on the top left corner.
  • Click on Hardware and Devices.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
  • Check if the issue persists.

You could try to:

• Press (Windows key + X)
  • Click on Device Manager.
  • Expand Sound, video, and game controllers
  • Right click on the sound driver
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Once this is done, restart the Notebook twice and check if the issue persists.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and the model number of your ENVY x360 Notebook PC. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Your suggestings did not fix the problem.

System details:

System Model HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible 
System Type x64-based PC 
System SKU M1V66UA#ABA 
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.17, 11/3/2015 
SMBIOS Version 2.8 

HP Recommended

Hey, 

What happened with the Windows Troubleshooter? 

What did the troubleshooter say?

What does the sound properties window look like?

Does the HDMI Output show up there?

Could you take a screenshot for me please?

Has the HDMI ever worked on this Notebook?

What happened when you:

• Click the Start button,
  • Type sound in the Search field
  • Select Sound from the list.
  • On the  Playback tab
  • Select the  HDMI audio device,
  • Click Set Default,
  • Click OK.

There is another newer BIOS update. The update download is sp75141.exe. You could try to update the BIOS. 

If that does not work, have you tried to do a system restore back to a time when the HDMI was working fine for you. 

Please let me know! 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.