Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Bought new Envy 15" laptop with beats audio. For whatever reason the volume is very low even when turned wide open.

Is there anything that I can do to increase the volume. Ordered with Windows 7. Obviously still in warranty but thought about this first before calling and staying on the phone forever with customer service.

I did the following suggestion but does not have "loudness equalization" on this model

One thing can help is the following.  Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.  Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.  Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.  Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey @jr70895-1 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the volume on your ENVY notebook is low.

Please make sure the audio driver is up to date with the following website: HP - Drivers & Downloads

It would also help to know which notebook you are using. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I would also suggest trying the following.

Set the audio quality to a higher quality:
1. Right click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click Playback Devices.
3. Click Speakers.
4. Click properties.
5. Click the advanced tab on the Properties window.
6. Change the Default Format drop-down to the highest quality.
7. Apply the properties.
8. Click OK to close the properties window.
9. Click OK to close the Playback Devices.
10. Test.

I look forward to your response! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This was a special order custom built laptop that was ordered on 8-8-14 and received on or about 8-20-14.

Custom built being HD LED Backlit and display 1920 x 1080 and backlit keyboard. Everything else standard.

I did check and all drives are up to date.

Model number E1P05AV

I did as instructed below. Item 6 does not have a "highest quality listed"

It has DVD Quality, CD Quality and 7 Studio Quality listings.

The default listing is DVD Quality, I did change to CD but no difference noticed.

This is my personal computer. I also have a 3 year old HP 17" size model with beats audio and the sound is real loud.

I expect being 17" probably has a bigger speaker but the difference is very noticeable.

HP Recommended

Hey jr70895-1,

Thanks for the information.

For step 6 you need to select the highest quality setting available. It won't be labeled "Highest Quality." You'll see there are options such as 16-bit 44100 Hz, The more bits and the more hertz means higher quality and typically the highest option is 24-bit 192000 Hz but it can vary depending on the sound card or output device.

After you have changed this you may want to try updating the drivers for the sound card. You can download these here

If it still isn't working properly can you please test the audio with external speakers or headphones?

I look forward to your reply. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Did everything you mentioned.

Plugged in headphones and speaker volume is great. Unplugged and I can barely hear anything.

I paid good money, almost $1200.00 with extended warranty for what I thought would be a top quality laptop that would come come high quality speakers with good volume. 

Sometimes I have to hold the laptop to my ear to hear anything.

Bottom line is HP apparently uses jink speakers on this model.

I based this purchase on my company HP laptop that is about 3 years old. I can hear those speakers very loud, even several rooms away.

THIS IS JUNK JUNK JUNK SPEAKERS....bottom line.

I waited too long to check out the speakers and should have returned this junk..............

HP Recommended

Hey jr70895-1,

Try restoring the original driver. I understand this is a newer laptop but it's possible that a Windows update changed the driver to a generic Windows driver.

To reinstall the original audio driver using HP Recovery Manager, follow the steps below:

1. Click Start , enter recovery into the search field, and then select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available.
  2. Grant permission to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
  3. On the Recovery Manager window, select Hardware Driver Reinstallation in the I need help immediately box.
  4. Click Next , select the sound driver to reinstall, and then click Next .
  5. Wait while HP Recovery Manager reinstalls the original audio driver, and then click Finish.

If this does not help I would suggest contacting HP Phone Support for service options as you are still under warranty. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the following link to get the support number for your region: Phone Assist Worldwide.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I tried all the suggestions when my laptop suddenly had very low volume.  It was so bad that I had to hold the laptop close to my ear to be able to understand what was being said in videos.

Refusing to give up because I knew that it worked fine a week ago I tried to solve the issue on my own.  I am running Windows 8.?.  This worked wonderfully for me, hopefully if you are still having issues it will help you.

Right click the speaker icon on the bottom task bar

left click to open Volume Mixer

drag the up for the Device Speakers (somehow mine was set to about 20% so even when I turned the volume all the way up it was still not loud at all)  

HP Recommended

Uninstalled driver update for the realatek audio feature, reboot and have sound again. Its a pity that a simple update can end up with the audio system crashing completely, hardly a great start for a new HP user. Never had issues like this with my old Advent.

But anyway, at least I have sound now using the Recovery Manager, so all is well in the world. I justhope nothing else goes amiss with all the updates I had had to install on a new machine out of the box. More to do yet, so there is some trepidation now. Maybe the driver update needs looking at as a lot of people appear to be having problems with this side of the machine.

HP Recommended

I have this model too and there is no tab to accomplish getting to that check box. I am running Windows 8.1

HP Recommended

Thanks, TrishW, this simple process helped mine tremendously also. Mine was about half way down the slider.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.