Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MUTE button light has stopped working post Windows 10 install. Button still works, just does not light up.

I've seen older Questions and answer to this fault but for different models and Audio Drivers (Realtek HD Audio installer ).

I think this model has "AMD High Definition Audio Device".

Can someone please advise what downloads are required to rec tify this fault.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally got it sorted.

Reloaded "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" as per HP Forum Question & Answer below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/No-sound-after-update-to-Windows-10/td-p/5437738

Thank you

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi there @Dave957,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the mute light. I will be glad to help you.

This maybe a driver issue.  HP does not supply Drivers for window 10 and this computer.  There may be updates available through Windows 10 updates.

Here is a link for Microsoft suggestion.

Please keep me informed of how things went. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :generic:

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I do suspect DRIVER issues but it's just locating which one it is. My son has the same computer, operating Windows 10, and does not have the problem. It's just a case of progressing removing drivers then reloading them, and hoping it clears itself.

The bonus is the switch works, it's just the neon light which doesn't.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Finally got it sorted.

Reloaded "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" as per HP Forum Question & Answer below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/No-sound-after-update-to-Windows-10/td-p/5437738

Thank you

HP Recommended

to lightup the mute button

u have to install latest audio drivers. it worked for me..

if u having hp support assistant it will show your the latest dirvers to download.

HP Recommended

I had this same problem too, but I ended up finding my solution on a forum related to audio problems: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/f11-mute-button-light-does-not-light-up-anymore/td-p/550...

In my own words:

1. Open the Device Manager on your Windows 10 PC
  2. Remove the audio driver under the 'Sound, audio and gaming controllers' tab by Right Click > Uninstall. For example I removed 'Realtek High Definition Audio'
  3. Run the Scan for hardware change under the Action menu at the top of the window. (this worked for me and I didn't do the next bit).
  4. Finally update the driver by Right Click > 'Update driver software...'

The volume will automatically be turned off mute, and next time you press your mute key, the LED will work.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

This worked for me except for that "Action" and "Scan for hardware changes" found nothing. I saw that the speaker icon on the notification tray was red and so I clicked on it and ran the Troubleshooter, which scanned and found the hardware, re-installed the driver, and asked for a restart. This then cleared up the probema and the light is working again.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

my model is 15ay513 tx... my mute light is stop working after a support technicians working in remote accesss .. what can i do??

HP Recommended

Mine is EliteBook 840 G1. Installing sp65631 got the mute button working for me.

HP Recommended

In my case, 'restarting the system' fixed the mute button light back to normal. Worth trying this before going through all the brilliant suggestions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.