Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion m4-1001TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello! My laptop is a HP Pavilion m4-1001TX. Recently, I updated my laptop's OS to Windows 10. Subsequently, I encountered blank screen problems, which was resolved by hard resets (as per suggestion from various forums).

A week ago, I encountered the same problem. However, I tried the suggestions (from hard reset, to external LCD, to BIOS Recovery, to re-seating the memory module). Whenever I boot it, I can hear the fan humming for 3 seconds but then it all goes silent. The power button and f12 key LED is alit as well.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Again, hello. 

So my laptop won't boot up properly for about a month and a half, which led me to use my tablet.

Anyhow, it took me a long time before deciding to disassemble my laptop. Since in the end, I might as well had it repaired, I tried to check its parts. Checking its insides, the fan is full of dust. 

After cleaning it, the laptop worked properly. (AT LONG LAST.)

Soo for you guys, do try the step by step troubleshooting process done by HP. However, if those things didn't work, and your laptop is probably a year or two and you haven't cleaned its fan, you might as well try cleaning it by compressed air or disassembling it.

On disassembling it, check  the product code in your laptop and search it on HP Support's Tab. The search would generate some links, one of them showing a manual on how to disassemble the laptop properly. Follow those steps carefully.

I hope this post helps you on regarding the boot-up problems. 🙂

NOTE: Disassembling for me is my last choice, SO DO NOT DISASSEMBLE IT UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO DO IT. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there @Erisa

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I read your post and wanted to reach out to help you! I understand that you upgraded to Windows 10 on your HP Pavilion m4-1001tx Notebook PC. You had said that you are encountering a blank screen issue. 

I understand that you have tried previously suggested troubleshooting steps but it has not rectified the issue at this point. 

Did you happen to try to run the System Diagnostics tests?

What happened when you connected an external LCD screen?

Are there any blinking LED lights?

Did you also try to reseat the hard drive?

Here is a document for you called Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.  The document says "there are many reasons that a computer does not startup or boot into the Windows operating system. If your computer will not start or boot, you will see or hear symptoms to indicate the general area of the problem." 

Here is another document called Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10): this document has a section called LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank, that should help you with the blank display. 

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello, @EmeraldAvenger. Thank you for replying 🙂 [Also my apologies for being unable to respond quick;y].

So a few weeks earlier, as I had stated, I tried troubleshooting the laptop. I did all the troubleshooting steps you had suggested except the Systems Diagnostics Test. So I gave it a try today.

Before doing it, as said in your suggestions, the external LCD did not work, it was also a blank screen. I also tried re-seating the memory module. At the first try, the laptop worked. A few days later, the same problem occurred again: blank screen, only the power LED, capslock LED and airplane mode LED lights were on (and steady). So I tried the step again, but the laptop didn't boot up again.

So I tried to run the systems diagnostics test. I observed the sounds the laptop made during boot-up. 

It seems that the problem was, whenever I boot it up, everything would go fine for 2 seconds. The fan sounds coming from the laptop are audible, the power LED is on. Then all of a sudden, the fan would stop. All these happening with the screen remaining in a blank/black look.

HP Recommended

Again, hello. 

So my laptop won't boot up properly for about a month and a half, which led me to use my tablet.

Anyhow, it took me a long time before deciding to disassemble my laptop. Since in the end, I might as well had it repaired, I tried to check its parts. Checking its insides, the fan is full of dust. 

After cleaning it, the laptop worked properly. (AT LONG LAST.)

Soo for you guys, do try the step by step troubleshooting process done by HP. However, if those things didn't work, and your laptop is probably a year or two and you haven't cleaned its fan, you might as well try cleaning it by compressed air or disassembling it.

On disassembling it, check  the product code in your laptop and search it on HP Support's Tab. The search would generate some links, one of them showing a manual on how to disassemble the laptop properly. Follow those steps carefully.

I hope this post helps you on regarding the boot-up problems. 🙂

NOTE: Disassembling for me is my last choice, SO DO NOT DISASSEMBLE IT UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO DO IT. 

HP Recommended

Hi there Erisa, 

Thank you for replying with what resolved your issue. I am very glad that you were able to get your Notebook back up and running! Sometimes a good cleaning does the trick! 🙂

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.