Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Model: Envy m6-k088ca sleekbook - out of warranty

I have been having problems with the screen going black and not recovering without a reboot. There was a BIOS update available, so I went for it. But in the middle of the update, as I feared it might, the screen went black.

I left it for about an hour then turned it off. Turned it on again, nothing. I tried the key combo recovery method, which didn't seem to work. Then I tried the USB key method. It started recovery, then gave me the error "system BIOS recovery failed - unable to open BIOS signature file" over and over quite a few times, then, nothing.

I tried the key combo again, holding them down for much longer this time, and it worked. It started recovering the BIOS - and then, again, the screen went black in the middle. 😞

That was 15 minutes ago. It's just sitting there, running, with a black screen. Power light is solid. Wifi light is red (for off). Nothing flashes, nothing beeps.

Anyone have any suggestions re my next move?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured out what was happening. The muscle that it was putting into the BIOS update was causing the laptop to overheat. Once I let it cool down and added a table fan to the two big fans constantly running in a cooling pad beneath it, it was able to get through the BIOS recovery. 

I realized this because it happened before when I tried to install Windows 10. It overheated and crashed every time. The BIOS update is a much shorter process but I guess it's intense :generic:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

When a system has problems starting, it might display error messages at startup. These messages might come from the system BIOS (ROM BIOS or UEFI firmware) or might be generated by Windows. Typical error messages displayed by the BIOS include the following:

• Invalid system disk
  • Boot failure
  • Hard disk error
  • NT boot loader missing
  • Missing operating system

These and similar messages indicate that the BIOS or UEFI firmware chip on the motherboard cannot locate startup files for your operating system. Possible reasons can include the following:

• A nonbootable drive containing media is listed first in the boot order (BIOS/UEFI).
  • The computer’s system drive is not properly identified (BIOS/UEFI).
  • Data or power cables from the internal hard disk to the motherboard are loose or have failed (hardware).
  • The drive has failed (hardware).

These are listed in order of likelihood. As always, start

HP Recommended

I figured out what was happening. The muscle that it was putting into the BIOS update was causing the laptop to overheat. Once I let it cool down and added a table fan to the two big fans constantly running in a cooling pad beneath it, it was able to get through the BIOS recovery. 

I realized this because it happened before when I tried to install Windows 10. It overheated and crashed every time. The BIOS update is a much shorter process but I guess it's intense :generic:

HP Recommended

hello

i have the same problem,but i can´t start Recovery mode,not with key combo

not with usb key ...

how log you hold key combo to start recovery?

any idea what can i do?

i make the same update like you,than after that black screen,and now nothing more

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi there, I'm sorry I'm so late with this reply.

I used the winkey +B combo. I'm not sure how long I held it but I was surprised it worked so it was more than a few seconds.

I have now actually been able to update the BIOS. Here is what I did. I left the laptop outside overnight, wrapped in a garbage bag to keep out the moisture. (It was around -4 C here.) Then, in the morning, I did the BIOS update, also outside, and it worked!

It has to be plugged in during the update, so if you don't have power outlets outside, boot up outside and do everything there right up to the warning about being plugged in. Take it inside, plug it in and run the update right away.

I only did this today but so far so good. Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

thanks for answer

i gonna try

i post back

HP Recommended

Good luck. I thought it fixed things for me but I had one crash today. 😞 I am starting to suspect a graphics issue too.

If overheating is your problem too, another thing you can try is to change the processor power management settings. Power options, change plan settings,  change advanced power settings, processor power management. Try lowering the maximum processor state. You can also try changing cooling policy from passive to active when plugged in. I think these things have helped but I'm not sure.

HP Recommended

I can´t start my NB

it´s all time the same

in bios I can´t go too.

i think it´s graphic problem on my NB

i gonna send him on repair.

regard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.