Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
7073ca
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello all,

My Pavilion DV7 (7073ca), running windows 7 professional, recently started acting very odd, and then became un-bootable. I recently installed an SSD drive, with the OS cloned onto it, but I did not clone the HP_TOOLS partition (Mistake #1). When trying to boot, the caps lock key flashes twice, indicating BIOS corruption error. 

Knowing this, I have tried nearly everything to fix it. I have tried un-plugging and re-plugging the CMOS battery, I checked the voltage of the CMOS battery (it was fine), nehter of those worked. I then tried making a recovery USB using the HP supplied EXE file. Turns out that does not run on windows 7, awesome, thanks HP (sarcasm), so I had a friend make me a recovery USB on his windows 10 machine. Using the windows key+b key trick, I tried to flash the recovery bios, with no luck. I even tried using the same setup with older versions of the BIOS with no success. At this point I decided to call HP support (Mistake #2). They basically told me to google the anser and check the forum... thanks, never thought of that (also sarcasm).

Now I feel like im all out of options. If any one of you could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it, my only other option is to buy a new motherboard which I would like to avoid at all costs. \

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know how old your computer is, but if it is newer, you can try HP Partsurfer to see if the motherboard is available from HP.  If not, you can run a search to see where it is being sold.  I know that you would most likely find it on ebay.  Buying the same motherboard will make it much easier since all of the components will fit and the Recovery media will work.

Here is a guide on Youtube that will help you replace it:

I hope that this will help you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey HP Support, mind helping me out here? I've been a long time customer and your product has failed me. Is this how you show customer appreciation?

HP Recommended

@alex_thegrant, welcome to the forum.

I won't answer your Private Message to me. 

The only help that I can offer you is this guide.  If it doesn't work you may have to buy a new motherboard, unless someone else has suggestions for you.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply, but I have tried that technique with no luck.
HP Recommended

I thought that you might have trice it, but wasn't certain.  It sounds like the BIOS may not be recoverable.  If you can't boot the computer, there is not much that you can do.

HP Recommended
Hmm I see. So assuming I have to replace the motherboard, where would you recommend that I purchase the motherboard from, and do you have any tips on the installation of a new motherboard?
HP Recommended

I don't know how old your computer is, but if it is newer, you can try HP Partsurfer to see if the motherboard is available from HP.  If not, you can run a search to see where it is being sold.  I know that you would most likely find it on ebay.  Buying the same motherboard will make it much easier since all of the components will fit and the Recovery media will work.

Here is a guide on Youtube that will help you replace it:

I hope that this will help you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Thanks, and Kudos for being quick to reply with a useful answer. You have restored my faith in HP support
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.