Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP dv6-1354us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello and good afternoon

After updating the laptop memory with Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1066 MHz (PC3 8500) the laptop wont boot and it stays with flashing led lights, i tried to start the machine by pressing Escape and enter the menu, it worked. ran the start and run-in test for the memory and hard disk and there were no problems and windows does recognize the full memory 8gb. I tried other solutions  that i found like removing the battery and disconnecting the power cord then pressing for 30 seconds the power button, then leave it disconnected for about 10 minutes and re connect , but no luck.

So I want to kindly ask for some advice that can help solve the problem (my next attempt to fix the problem is to update the bios to the latest version F.46 im with F.36)

Thank you very much in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @milo_1,

I understand that you replaced/upgraded the RAM on your computer and need assistance. Kudos to you for running the test on your computer and updating the BIOS. I would like to help you. 

Based on the specification of your, the maximun RAM supported is 8GB, click here for the specifications. 

Please click here to check for the recommended parts for your computer. 

I would like to know how much memory is showing up on the computer when you login and check in the system settings, if possible please share a screenshot of the same. 

Recommend you to test the new memory module individually if possible. (keep one memory outside when running the test)

The service manual for your computer is available here

Awaiting your reply. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

thank you for replying to the post, for the moment im using linux but it also recognize the 2 modules of 4 gbScreenshot-System Monitor.png

I'll run the test just as suggested and i'll post the results later on. forgot to mention i still have not updated the bios because after reading other posts, it seems that this might cause other problems. is there a way to downgrade the bios?

Thank you very much

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please do keep me posted. 

The memory calculated by the manufacturer and the OS is different hence, it displays less memory. 

This article talks about hard drive space, it is similar for RAM. 

For memory upgrade questions this article might help. 

Also refer to this article.

Please find the screenshot of the memory on my computer. 

Keep me posted.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

good evening

sorry for the late post. I was trying to figure out how can I downgrade the Bios version of the laptop once you updated to the latest version because I don't want to end up with a brick. so far I still have the same problem to start the machine, if I put back the original memory modules there is no problem, i'm running out of options.

HP Recommended

@milo_1, thanks for the response

Thanks for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned that you need help in restoring BIOS to a previous version please try the steps mentioned below.

To recover the BIOS on your notebook using the USB key:
1.    Plug the notebook into an AC adapter.
2.    Insert the USB key with HP_Tools installed into an available USB port. - This is where you will insert the USB drive you install the BIOS update onto. 
3.    Press the Power button while holding the Windows key and the B key.
4.    The emergency recovery feature replaces the BIOS with the version on the USB key. The computer reboots automatically when the process is completed successfully.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot restoring BIOS.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello thanks a lot for the instructions

I'll try this weekend and hope this solve the problem of the startup because I don't know what else can I do, besides of having to use the original modules of ram ( 4gb ) or keep pressing the Esc key every time I turn on the laptop, although its kind of strange that if I don't cut the power (disconnecting the cord cable of the laptop), after shutting down the laptop, if I turn it on again, I don't need to press the Esc key again.

Thank you very much

HP Recommended

@milo_1, thanks for the reply.

As you mentioned you will try the steps over the weekend, Please try the steps and let me know the status.

Hope hear from you soon!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

I've put to practice the mentioned steps to turn back the Bios version of the laptop, the good news is that everything went well no surprises, the bad news is that i still need to keep pressed the Esc key while powering up the laptop my last  option is to change the cmos battery because like i mentioned before if i shutdown the laptop and not cut power ( I usually work without the laptop battery ),  it would initiate normally, could the cmos battery be the problem or should i try again updating the Bios??

I would appreciate any other advice, thank you very much and sorry for the late post.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, as you are technically sound, I would recommend you to reseat the CMOS battery and check if it resolves the issue.

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.