Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HDX16-1040el
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I'm new on the forum since usually I prefer look around myself to find possible solutions but this time I'm quite lost so I decided to ask directly to the community for help.
The problem is with an HP HDX16-1040EL, that worked perfectly till some weeks ago when it suddenly didn't boot up anymore. Now if I try to switch it on it acts quite weird: Caps Lock and the small light above the Numpad blinks twice, then it reboots and after this they continue blinking nonstop. I already tested the RAM modules and the HDD and they worked good, I also tried to switch it on without RAM and the blinking pattern is the same, I thought it could be the Bios but the HDD had been cleaned time ago and all HP partitions has gone, so I looked for "flashing through USB" but the BIOS file on the product page is only a Windows installer, and beside this also when extracted and prepared on a USB no keyboard combination seems to have any effect... Has anyone encountered a similar situation before? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @ZheXian,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! The Forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with the notebook starting, and wanted to assist you!

The blink code that you provided, indicates an issue, or failure of the BIOS.  Try performing a BIOS recovery manually, by following these steps:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.
  3. While the computer is still off:
    1. Press and hold the  Windows key and the  B key at the same time, and then press and hold down the  Power button on the notebook for one second.
    2. Release the  Power button and the keys.
By following these steps the BIOS will reach the EFI partition in order to recover the BIOS to the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive.
For information on how to restore the BIOS refer to the HP support document: 

Please post back with the results.  Let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the  Thumbs up  below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for your answer! I already tried to perform this solution but nothing happened, I'll try again in the weekend, maybe I'll be luckier this time! 🙂
I have a question, since the hdd had been completely formatted time ago and HP partition has gone I followed the guide to create an HP_Tools volume on a USB Fat32 pendrive (that only means to give the pendrive the "HP_Tools" name right? ), but when I downloaded the "Bios" installer from the Notebook page I didn't find the same steps listed in the "support" page (with the option to create an external volume), instead it appeared a wizard that asked to install the Bios on the same machine, then I aborted the process since I feared to mess up another PC trying to fix this... Once extracted the content using Winrar i found a 3610F32.fd file, the InsydeFlash.exe file, one .wav, one.dll, one .ini e two.sys other file, may I place some of them into the USB pen directly to perform the Bios recovery maybe?

HP Recommended

Hello @ZheXian,

Thank you for the quick reply!

You should only be downloading the BIOS on the separate notebook.  Once the BIOS is downloaded, you can create the Recovery Media using the USB external drive.  Keep in mind that the USB should be blank.  Once you use the USB, and the downloaded BIOS to create the Recovery Media, then you can use that to see if the issue with the notebook can be resolved.  This is as indicated in the instructions provided in the document.  I hope this helps.

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hello, here I am! I tried to follow your instruction but again I encountered the same problem during the Recovery Media creation. When I download the bios on the HP HDX16-1040EL product page the program (sp46073.exe) is only a "direct Flash Utility" called InsydeFlash, with no option for external drives creation (going further with the process on the second machine gives me the error: " IHSI: get support mode fail in SMI ! / Bios did not support InsydeFlash! "). There is maybe an alternative way to create the USB pendrive with the necessary files? (I'm pretty sure the "Bios" file is that 3610f32.fd extracted in the sp46073 folder, if I'd know what other files are missing maybe I can simply paste all of them inside the HP_Tools USB drive...)
Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hello @ZheXian,

Thank you for the information.  The flash utility is only for flashing the BIOS on the Windows Vista Operating System.  Since you are running Windows 7, you should be able to download the files on the notebook, then put the necessary files on the USB drive.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.