Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion n5y58ua#abl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When the headphone jack is plugged / unplugged the taskbar and start menu become unresponsive for a moment (between 30 seconds to 5 minutes at times).  

I get a notification that it was plugged/unplugged by B&O window right away, then taskbar etc becomes frozen for a while, then a second notification comes up telling me it was plugged/unplugged again then its ok until i use audio jack again.

Ive seen this problem on several forum posts, some ppl had luck making a new user account, some needed to wipe the whole drive and reinstall. But reintalling the drivers doesnt seem to work as I and several others tried this with not results.

If anyone has a solution for this problem it would be much appreciated.

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Derek000 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for reaching out to HP support forums! I’d like to help with your PC audio issue!

I understand that your laptop is freezing while unplugging / replugging the audio jack. I would first recommend you update the audio drivers on your PC. Here are the steps:

1. Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
  2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers" from the list, then right-click on the audio driver (Realtek, IDT etc.), and select Update Driver Software
  3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
  5. Restart the PC and check again.

If the issue persists, update the BIOS and chipset drivers for your PC. Go to http://hp.care/2oUziha to download and update the BIOS and chipset drivers.

Restart the PC once done and check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @Derek000 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for reaching out to HP support forums! I’d like to help with your PC audio issue!

I understand that your laptop is freezing while unplugging / replugging the audio jack. I would first recommend you update the audio drivers on your PC. Here are the steps:

1. Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
  2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers" from the list, then right-click on the audio driver (Realtek, IDT etc.), and select Update Driver Software
  3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
  5. Restart the PC and check again.

If the issue persists, update the BIOS and chipset drivers for your PC. Go to http://hp.care/2oUziha to download and update the BIOS and chipset drivers.

Restart the PC once done and check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I deleted all audio drivers in the list and the checked for changes, then reinstalled the drivers and it worked. I tried this previously without results but it worked this second time. I will post back if problem returns. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Problem is back. When i plug and unplug the 3.5mm earphones it takes a few minutes for the B&O pop-up window to appear and notify me the jack is plugged or unplugged. During this time everything in the taskbar is not clickable but desktop icons are. Im suspecting maybe a bios update or something messed up in the system files. Thinking or trying to update bios...

HP Recommended

Just updated bios with no changes, still have unresponsive taskbar for few minutes when plugging and unplugging 3.5mm plug. I may need to reinstall windows i think.

HP Recommended

@Derek000

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Run component test on audio to check for hardware failures.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned under running the UEFI component test.

If test result says no issues.

Preform windows refresh.

Click here and follow the document for more troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.