Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion m3-u001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my HP Pavilion m3-u001dx for about 3 months now, and there is a problem with it that has finally arisen to my attention. During basic use of the internet and even when the computer is not overheating, the fan is constantly working and creating a loud noise (it sounds very similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCLubSukzI ). Only once or twice has it every operated silently, and usually the noise comes back after 10 minutes. Once the device even boots up the noise begins. The device is fully updated and relatively new, so I do not think it is dust cluttering the fan or the heat sink. 

I use wireless internet, and there haven't been any software/driver changes, so I am unaware of what could be the problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ajse211

Thank you for your response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The service manual guide for your product has the details on how to open the back cover, etc...(Click here to view)

That said, you don't have to remove the cover or any such part to clean the vents, all you need to do is make use of a blower part of your vacuum cleaner and blow the dust out (if any)

Also, if you are sure, there aren't any such issues related to dust, I recommend you Contact HP as this could be a hardware failure:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ajse211

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there is a Loud and Annoying Fan Noise although the product is not Overheating,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

by fully updated, do you mean the BIOS has also been updated to the latest version?

Did you check for clear vents and if not clean them? (Though it's relatively new, dust accumulation is normal)

While you respond to that, here's a few things you could do to make a positive change:

Updating your Notebook computer BIOS

After computers are released, HP may distribute an updated BIOS to manage the fan, CPU power loads, and other components. To see if there is a newer BIOS update, you should determine what version of the BIOS is currently installed on your computer, and then determine if there is a more recent version available.

For complete information on finding your current BIOS version as well as instruction for updating your notebook computer BIOS, see Updating the BIOS (not for Android or ChromeOS devices).

Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

Most operating systems allow you to change power settings. Use these settings to turn off the display when you are not actively using your computer. If you frequently leave your computer on when you leave it, then changing the power setting to turn off your monitor when it is not being used can help keep your computer running at a cooler temperature.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the BIOS is up to date. I would check the vents for the dust, but I am unsure how to open the computer. There are not many tutorials on how to do this, so I have not gotten the opportunity to check myself. However, since the computer is not overheating and is running fine I'd like to believe that my vents are clear and dust free.

HP Recommended

@ajse211

Thank you for your response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The service manual guide for your product has the details on how to open the back cover, etc...(Click here to view)

That said, you don't have to remove the cover or any such part to clean the vents, all you need to do is make use of a blower part of your vacuum cleaner and blow the dust out (if any)

Also, if you are sure, there aren't any such issues related to dust, I recommend you Contact HP as this could be a hardware failure:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The solution that worked for my envy 17" laptop was nothing to do w bios or vent cleaning or Coolsense but simply setting the fan cooling from active to passive. Problem solved completely. Wife happy. If you google you read that this means the chip speed will clock down as necessary, for temperature's sake, rather than the fan roaring because the chip is at full-tilt all the time.

HP Recommended

I read your solution for fan noise and wonder if it would slow the computer or harm it in any way?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.