Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Frequently my laptop fails to startup.  Sometimes the screen is 4 "shadows" of the date and sometimes a white screen

with horizontal lines like tablet paper.  I have updated the BIOS to F.27.  The following is the data from my computer. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Model                     HP Pavilion 17 notebook PC

Product #                            F9J38UA#ABA

Serial #                               [Personal Information Removed]

Born on date                      7/19/2014

System bd ID                     1971

Product Config ID             0976110000405E000000620180

System Bd CT#                  PDPWQ058J6L9YI

BIOS Version                      F.27

Proscessor                          Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-3130M CPU @ 2.60 GHZ

Total Memory                   4 GB

Primary Battery SN          23287  05/23/2016

WLAN FCCID                      TX2-RTL8188EE 

Windows 8.1 Version 6.3 (Build 9600)

Thank You    Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jay1947,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. As I understand the computer is powering on, however, doesn't boot into windows,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Please try an alternate monitor to understand if this is either a hardware or a software failure, if the issue does not appear on the alternate monitor, you may need to replace the display assembly on your computer, if the issue appears on the alternate monitor/TV as well, re-install the graphics card drivers & update it from the official HP Website: Click here

If you don’t have an alternate monitor, I recommend checking if the issue appears on the BIOS screen (restart the computer and tap on F10 to access BIOS)

This would confirm if it's either a hardware failure or an issue with the graphics card drivers so we may reinstall and update the drivers to fix the issue as mentioned above.

If the issue persists even on the Bios screen, I would suggest this could be an issue with the LCD or LCD or the motherboard/video card failure,

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, liquid spilled on it, etc.) there could be a hardware failure and in such cases, you may need to get the computer repaired via HP (there could be a charge involved if the PC isn't covered by the accidental damage protection plan)

For more details, please follow this link.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Jay1947,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. As I understand the computer is powering on, however, doesn't boot into windows,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Please try an alternate monitor to understand if this is either a hardware or a software failure, if the issue does not appear on the alternate monitor, you may need to replace the display assembly on your computer, if the issue appears on the alternate monitor/TV as well, re-install the graphics card drivers & update it from the official HP Website: Click here

If you don’t have an alternate monitor, I recommend checking if the issue appears on the BIOS screen (restart the computer and tap on F10 to access BIOS)

This would confirm if it's either a hardware failure or an issue with the graphics card drivers so we may reinstall and update the drivers to fix the issue as mentioned above.

If the issue persists even on the Bios screen, I would suggest this could be an issue with the LCD or LCD or the motherboard/video card failure,

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, liquid spilled on it, etc.) there could be a hardware failure and in such cases, you may need to get the computer repaired via HP (there could be a charge involved if the PC isn't covered by the accidental damage protection plan)

For more details, please follow this link.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You for your reply.  I had the laptop unplugged and battery removed for several days.  On the fifth cold start it failed again.  Will continue with your other suggestions................................Jay

HP Recommended

Hi @Jay1947,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I installed the latest video driver and have had NO problems since.  Thank You for excellent support.  Another reason my family has five HP laptops................Thanks again.......Jay

HP Recommended

Sorry to say but it's baaaack.

When the pc first comes up if the hp logo is not centered left to right on the screen it will come up with a repeating four time aproximation of the sign on screen or it will be horizontal lines looking like tablet paper.  It will always be the four time "mess" for a number of times then the next error will be the tablet paper.  The following is the current config of this pc.

Model HP Pavilion 17 notebook PC

Product # F9J38UA#ABA

Serial # [Personal Information Removed]

Born on date 7/19/2014

System bd ID 1971

Product Config ID 0976110000405E000000620180

System Bd CT# PDPWQ058J6L9YI

BIOS Version F.27

Proscessor Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-3130M CPU @ 2.60 GHZ

Total Memory 4 GB

Primary Battery SN 23287 05/23/2016

WLAN FCCID TX2-RTL8188EE

Windows 8.1 Version 6.3 (Build 9600)

Also I installed the free Win 10 upgrade but trying to fix this problem when it said to repair the pc it reverted to 8.1....Thank You ..............Jay

HP Recommended

Hi @Jay1947,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that your laptop fails to boot to the Windows screen.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue. 

I suggest that you perform a hard reset on the unit by following the steps listed below:

1. Power off the laptop. In this case press and hold the power button for few seconds to power it off

2. Remove the battery out if removable. If integrated leave it inside.

3. Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.

4. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.

5. Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.

6. Power ON the laptop.

If the issue persists, you need to update the BIOS and the graphics drivers from the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

The fail to start correctly came back.  Only changes were to download  Malware bites.  Downloaded F.28 BIOS and installed it.  Downloaded and installed the video driver also.  I am about afraid to shutdown now as it is working now.  Let you know if it comes back.   About ready to order a motherboard now !!..........................Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.