Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Latitude E7240
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
Laptop won't switch on. Power lead when just plugged into mains the light comes on at end of power lead. When I plug it into laptop the light goes out? Should this happen? I have tried taking the battery out and holding down power button for 30 seconds but still nothing.
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Rab220875a, welcome to the forum.

This is a HP help Forum.  Here is the Dell Latitude E7240-Owner's Manual.  On Page 45 is the Diagnostics section.  Read it carefully to see if it helps.  Also, on Page 46 is a Device Status Light guide.  It should tell what the lights that you are seeing mean.  Please let me know if you need further help.

If I can make a suggestion, you may want to consider a HP Laptop the next time that you buy one. :Wink:  Most of us here are not HP employees, but volunteer to help HP owners who are having problems.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

According to Dell Latitude e7240 Manual to fix this issue firstly disconnect the charger,remove battery,press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect the battery and charger.Turn on system and check if it turns on.

Also confirm if the light on the charger stays on,when connected to the system. After these steps if laptop is working normally then its ok. If not then try problem fixing other options from manual. :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.