Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 (i7 6300hq)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So basicly, when i play a simple game it will play for lets say half a round and then it the screen just gets stuck and i can here the sound retrigger like it is a glitch. the only way i can turn off the pc is by pressing the power button and i am afraid if i do that too much i will damage windows file. is there a way to stop the freezing?

Specs

15.6 inch screen IPS

intel i7 6300HQ

nvidea gtx 960m

16gb gddr4 ram 2133 mhz

1tb harddisk and 128gb ssd

thats about the important stuff,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @iHave_a_Problem,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

As I understand this definitely looks to be an issue with the computer not cooling as you have correctly pointed out, don't worry as I have a few steps and suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

The following list describes some of the issues caused by overheating in the notebook:

· Games stop responding during play.

· Windows stops responding during use.

· Fans inside the notebook become louder because they are spinning faster as the laptop gets hot, to remove the heat.

· When starting the laptop, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stop responding when it does open.

The following list describes some causes of excessive heat:

· Dust inside the laptop.

· A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.

· Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.

· High ambient room temperature.

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat

Please perform the steps suggested and get back to us with the results for for further assistance.

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@iHave_a_Problem

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavillion 15 series laptop and while playing a game, the game runs for about 30 minutes and then the laptop freezes. The sound retriggers like it is a glitch. You have to manually power on the laptop using the power button. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does it happen only with one game or have you tried playing multiple games and checked the performance? Which game is it?
  • How is the performance of the laptop otherwise when you're not playing the game?
  • Does the laptop overheat while playing the game?
  • Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Meanwhile,you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to reply. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, the games are online games and i dont realy havent notice it with offline game if i am sure.

it is leaque of legends wich runs at 150+ fps and overwatch with minumum 60 FPS at max graphics 

it is summer here and yes we have had some hot days and i notice the fans of the laptap spin more but i dont know the exact tempature

The symptoms are first the game looses connection for 3 seconds then it start to freeze

Serial numbers i have found

Model: (hp pavillion) 15-bc076nd

Model:726NGW (warranty)

Hope this infromation helps

HP Recommended

@iHave_a_Problem

Thanks for replying with the information.

I suggest you to check with other online games too. I suggest you to perform the video graphics drivers update via this link

Let me know the results. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

i have tried the  link and installed the service pack but the problem still occurs.

HP Recommended

@iHave_a_Problem

I suggest you to uninstall that game from your laptop and then reinstall it. Though it is an online game, you need to install it on you laptop because it is not completely an online version. 

To know how to uninstall a game/program, please follow the below steps:

1. In Windows, search for and openPrograms and Features.

2. In the Uninstall or change a program window, select the program you want to remove from the list and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change at the top of the program list.

Please search for the game in the list.

Figure : Select and uninstall unneeded programsImage of Uninstall/Change selection
  4. Read and respond to any messages that may open while the software is being removed from your computer.

Hope this works. Cheers!

HP Recommended

well that didnt work either. i appreciat all the help though.

HP Recommended

@iHave_a_Problem

Thank you for replying. 

If all other online games play fine and the issue lies with only the League of Legends then I do not think it is an issue with the laptop or the operating system.

I suggest you to visit the game's website and check if there is an ongoing issue while playing this game. This is not to deviate you from our support, but to isolate the issue further. 

I'm always here to help. Please let me know what happens. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended
It doesnt jusy happen with LoL it happends with basicly all games that take quit the energy. Lets say they make my fans spin
HP Recommended

@iHave_a_Problem

Thanks for the information. 

Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l . I will check the hardware specifications of the laptop.

Meanwhile, you may perform the steps from this link to improve the performance in Windows 10.

Thanks for your patience with me. Cheers! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.