Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion x2 - 10-n028tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

notebook will not shut down properly. everytime i shut it down, the screen will turn off but the white power light keeps on glowing forever. Then i will have to keep the power button pressed for a long time to shut it down completely. many times it restart on shutting down. i always check for any update and periodically install it.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @raj53,

Good day .and thank you for choosing the HP community. ! 🙂 It is a great location to find resolutions.

I reviewed the post about the computer shut down issues. I will be glad to assist you with this. I’ll be more than happy to assist you here. 🙂

At the outset, you’ve diagnosed the issue perfectly and performed great analysis of the situation before posting the query on HP forums.

Excellent job on that score. Kudos to you. It is always a privilege to work with technically savvy customers.

I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. We value your relationship with HP and wish to serve you better. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• When did this first happen?
  • Did this happen after a windows or software update?

For now please perform a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Please follow the steps from this option “Restore your computer when Windows starts normally”

If this does not help follow these steps

• Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results
  • needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under Define power buttons and turn on password protection
  • From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) check box to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
  • Click Save changes button to save the modified settings.
  • Close Power Options window when done. the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does

Solution 2: Perform A Full Shutdown

Another way to turn off your computer without Hybrid Shutdown is to perform a full shutdown, to do that, follow these steps:

Right-click on your Desktop.

Go to New, and click on Shortcut.

For “Type the location of the item,” input this:

shutdown -F -T ## -C “Your message here” (## can be any number from 0 and 315360000, and “Your message here” could be any text you want))

Click Next.

Name the shortcut by your wish

Right-click the shortcut on from your desktop and click Properties.

Change the icon of the shortcut by your desire, just for the aesthetic reasons

Pin the shortcut to your start menu and you’re good to go.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @raj53,

Good day .and thank you for choosing the HP community. ! 🙂 It is a great location to find resolutions.

I reviewed the post about the computer shut down issues. I will be glad to assist you with this. I’ll be more than happy to assist you here. 🙂

At the outset, you’ve diagnosed the issue perfectly and performed great analysis of the situation before posting the query on HP forums.

Excellent job on that score. Kudos to you. It is always a privilege to work with technically savvy customers.

I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. We value your relationship with HP and wish to serve you better. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• When did this first happen?
  • Did this happen after a windows or software update?

For now please perform a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Please follow the steps from this option “Restore your computer when Windows starts normally”

If this does not help follow these steps

• Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results
  • needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under Define power buttons and turn on password protection
  • From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) check box to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
  • Click Save changes button to save the modified settings.
  • Close Power Options window when done. the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does

Solution 2: Perform A Full Shutdown

Another way to turn off your computer without Hybrid Shutdown is to perform a full shutdown, to do that, follow these steps:

Right-click on your Desktop.

Go to New, and click on Shortcut.

For “Type the location of the item,” input this:

shutdown -F -T ## -C “Your message here” (## can be any number from 0 and 315360000, and “Your message here” could be any text you want))

Click Next.

Name the shortcut by your wish

Right-click the shortcut on from your desktop and click Properties.

Change the icon of the shortcut by your desire, just for the aesthetic reasons

Pin the shortcut to your start menu and you’re good to go.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi DAVID,

you exactly pinpointed the problem and provided me with the right solution. kudos to you for that. i tried solution no. 2 and it's working fine with my notebook. thanks a lot. Hope to see you in future also.

HP Recommended

Hi @raj53,

I reviewed the post. thanks for the reply. Thanks for accepting this as a solution. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and sharing this platform with you, You've been simply superb to work with, considering your superlative troubleshooting skills.

I hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂 

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps,

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.