Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
spectre x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer shuts down unexpecedly at least once every time it is used.  will not start again unless I plug it into the charger.   The battery is often fully charged when this happens.  Sometimes if I get it started quickly it will come back on with everything the way it was when it shut down.  Other times it boots up, and I have to log in and start it as usual.  If I happen to have it plugged in to the charger when I start it I do not have he problem.   Of course that is not ideal, I need for it to be portable as it is intended to be.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Twindy91,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 shutting down after updating Windows 10. You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

I am seeing that if you change the power plan options to balanced option in the Notebook will help. Here is a link that will help.

Go into your power options. Select Balanced and click Change plan settings. Click Change advanced power settings. Then save setting changes. Restart your Notebook and see if the setting options have changed.

You could also try:

In the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Twindy91,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 shutting down after updating Windows 10. You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

I am seeing that if you change the power plan options to balanced option in the Notebook will help. Here is a link that will help.

Go into your power options. Select Balanced and click Change plan settings. Click Change advanced power settings. Then save setting changes. Restart your Notebook and see if the setting options have changed.

You could also try:

In the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

So far so good.  Applied both of the suggestions that you offered, and the computer has not shut down again.  This is the fourth day since I made the adjustments.  I will let you know if it reverts back.  Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended
Wish this would work for my Spectre x2. I just spent a week waiting for a return box then 3 weeks for my "repaired" laptop to be returned. 5 days later it is doing the same as before. It starts getting horizontal black bars on the screen, then the screen starts flashing off and on, then it shuts down. After a few minutes it can be restarted. Battery is charged and computer is being used on a desk in an air conditioned room so it shouldn't be an overheating issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.