Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HP Split X2 with i5 processor and WIndows 8.1

I bought a split x2 this past November and I have had a re-occuring problem since I have had it. While using it, the mouse will often freeze up and my touch pad will not work. Can you please tell me how to fix this? I am a college engineering student and I need my computer to work properly for my work. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I’ve recently been using a Split 13t x2 that has the same problem and the following seems to correct the issue.

Open windows Control Panel and open Device Manager.  Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and you should find 2 entries for ‘Generic USB Hub’.  Right click the 1st one and select Properties, then select the Power Management tab and remove the tick from the box ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’.  Click Ok to save this setting. 

Do the same for the 2nd ‘Generic USB Hub.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hi,

I’ve recently been using a Split 13t x2 that has the same problem and the following seems to correct the issue.

Open windows Control Panel and open Device Manager.  Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and you should find 2 entries for ‘Generic USB Hub’.  Right click the 1st one and select Properties, then select the Power Management tab and remove the tick from the box ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’.  Click Ok to save this setting. 

Do the same for the 2nd ‘Generic USB Hub.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Just to clarify, I am not using an external mouse. The problem is happening with my touchpad. Is it still the same solution?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the solution I suggested is for the Synaptics TouchPad and did appear to correct exactly the issue you mention on a Split 13t.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you. I am doing it now and will give it a day to make sure it works, then I will get back on to accept the solution to give you the credit you deserve.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome :generic:

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I only have access to 1 of these machines, so confirmation of whether this resolves your issue ( or not ) would be particularly valuable.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This fix appears to have solved the issue on my Split X2 running Win 8.1.  Need to get this posted to all the other related threads in the Forum as people have been struggling with this for several weeks.

HP Recommended

This worked for me too.  Thank you very much.

That problem was really a PITA!!

HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DavidPK,

Been about a week no touchpad issues. Good fix! Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.