Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi @ avshmu

Just to clarify if your system is not updated for the software and drivers. This brightness display might not work.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

System is fully updated.

HP Recommended

Hi @avshmu  ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help.

This is aparently a global issue. Spent a small fortune on this machine.

My time is too expansive to waste on live support which I believe will lead to nothing.

I should remind you -- this issue is open since ages!!!

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

have the same Laptop and it was not cheap! 

I have just updated Windows 7 with Windows 81. And now trying Windows 10 But Still  the brightness is full on and I can't turn it down at all which is most anoying. I have even downloaded and installed drivers that suppose to work with Windows 8.1 And it still does not work!

There Must be something that HP can do to put this problem right as I have even got an older HP laptop and it 

works 100% with Windows 10 So why can't we get this newer Laptop to work with 8.1 or now Windows 10!

Any help or what driver to use to solve this would be very much appreciated 

Nick

HP Recommended

@ukwave

I'm still having this issue too. 

Upgraded from 7 to 10 this week and it still persists to not change the brightness when I press the buttons. The symbols appear on the screen but it's forever in fullbright.

Doesn't appear like HP are ever going to fix this issue.

Going to have to deal with awful battery life it seems 😞

Ciaran

HP Recommended

hey, man

I had a same problem, and i succeed to solve it.

after upgrading to Win10, the brightness buttons stopped working. after installing all the possible drivers I discovered that monitor driver was installed but not enabled (hell knows why). So, the solution was easy: right click on "This PC" in your explorer, then Manage -> Device Manager -> Monitors -> right click on Generic PnP Monitor (in my case) -> Properties. and there I simply enabled the driver. It works now.

Hope this will appear helpful)

good luck

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the reply,

That doesn't fix anything on my end as the driver was already enabled 😞

Thanks anyway

HP Recommended

Thank you thank you! This totally solved it for me!

HP Recommended

OK I went to Device Manager then expanded Monitors, after that I went to Properties on  Generic Pnp Monitor then I clicked  Enable. Thats it fully restored brightness instantly. Good Luck 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.