Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 G6Q75UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

i just bought this pc it was an open box purchase, when i view white web pages the colors and white balance looks good, however when i view a dark page or play a game with dark backgrounds the screen looks washed out like you have tipped the lid down and are looking at the screen from the top down at an angle. i have done the recomended updates, calibrated the display using the pre installed tool, tried using the screen brightness using f2 and f3, nothing seems to work,  i think i know why it was returned to the store, and at this moment i am inclined to do the same thing unless this is a real simple fix, or a setting that i cannot find. i know next to nothing about win8 so that might be part of the problem. any help would be great.

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

ok so i purchased another pavilion 17, an upgrade to the last one and still the screen is washed out, after doing some more research it would seem that the viewing angle is part of the problem and another part would be the display type itself.

updating drivers and bios is not the problem because the pc is new and all new drivers and bios updates were down loaded and applied .

so i will be returning this one also and be looking for a different brand, thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @twcazhd 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you are having some display issues with darker pages.  I am happy to assist with this and as a start would suggest making sure you have the most current drivers installed if you have not already done this. See below:

HP Pavilion 17-f065us Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) - Software & Drivers

Also you should find these helpful:
Resolving Problems with Notebook Displays (Windows 7 and Windows 😎
Resolving Video and Graphics Issues

Let me know if you see any difference.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

after giving it some thought, i decided to return the pc to the store, i would rather not futz with a brand new pc that should work as advertised right out of the box, it was an "open box" purchase meaning the previous owner was not satisfied with it for some reason, i did not ask why, but assumed it was something to do with win8, or something else as silly as that. i think i now know why it was returned, i purchased another one, it is an upgrade to the one i just returned, so if all goes well you wont be hearing from me again, (fingers crossed). have a great day and thank you for your time!

HP Recommended

ok so i purchased another pavilion 17, an upgrade to the last one and still the screen is washed out, after doing some more research it would seem that the viewing angle is part of the problem and another part would be the display type itself.

updating drivers and bios is not the problem because the pc is new and all new drivers and bios updates were down loaded and applied .

so i will be returning this one also and be looking for a different brand, thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.