Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
XZ181UA#ABC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

the title says the question.

but i have a second question also but couldn incluse in title.

how do i know how much RAM i have? it says that my laptop came with 4GB and max is 8GB how to confirm how much RAM i have? also if possible include a link to buy the 8GB RAM from HP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This has gone pretty far afield from the original questions. Its Expert Day so like trying to fly on Thanksgiving...the boards get a little crowded and a lot of people around who don't fly too often. 

The Omen external video card thing is only for very modern computers which have something called a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port. You can't use it; your computer lacks such a port, so not an option. 

Lots of places to buy RAM other than amazon, just not HP. HP sells new computers and accessories. It is not a general computer store. The memory it does sell is for servicing its computers. Once they get as old as yours is, they are long out of warranty so HP does not bother to keep the memory around. When HP does sell it, they charge much more than retail

so your whole point of wanting for some reason to buy memory from HP which does not make memory and is not in the business of selling memory is a bit odd and I hope I have explained why. 

The problem is with memory that is not the current kind is that you will have trouble finding compatible memory at a bricks and mortar store like Best Buy. So if you are in the US, amazon.com is the best way to go. I linked you to the exact correct memory that will absolutely work for you and gave explicit instructions how to install it. The "how to" is in the pictures on page 55 of the manual. To have 8 gigs you need 2 x 4 modules. You will not find better advice or better service. You are killing us with obtusity. 

Your CPU load while gaming is the reason you came here in the first place. Your computer runs graphics in the CPU. It has "integrated" Intel video so when you try to make it play a game its like asking an 80 year old man to run the 100 yard dash. He gets worn out and winded very quickly. 

You have been given two different ways to check memory amount. 

You are milking the boards here, my friend and if your questions are not answered yet, I am throwing in the towel. No Solution to be had here. Good luck to you.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

No there is no way to add a video card. In 99% of laptops including all HP Pavilions, the video comes from one of the chips soldered flat to the motherboard and there is no place to add a video card of any kind. 

Specs of your laptop:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02674415

Your 4 gigs of RAM is a pair of 2 gig DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM. The HP Part number is 

4 GB (for models 1.1 and 1.2 only) 599092-001

Manual

HP no longer would sell this memory and would be expensive if they did. Here it is on amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-VH641AT-4-GB-DDR3-PC3-10600/dp/B0030L3B8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=150592069...

You need 2 of those. See p. 55 of the Manual for "how to". Right click on "this pc" or "my computer" and select properties and it will confirm that you still do or don't have 4 gigs of RAM. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

i cant find the "how to" part in p.55

also the link to amazon was for the 4GB RAM if it turned out i have 4GB can you pls send the link for the 8GB ? Also why HP not selling anymore what if people need more RAM (not my problem but just curious) 

HP Recommended

1. From what I can tell by looking at your PC specs (here) this laptop does NOT support additional graphics cards. However, HP's OMEN Accelerator will be available soon! This is an external graphics card for your laptop. Check it out (here).

2. Follow the instructions in this document (here) to upgrade/replace the memory in your laptop.

I work on behalf of HP, but my opinions are my own.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. If both apply......do both.
HP Recommended

Thx. But still i want to know how much RAM i have at the moment is there a way to check on the computer?

Also if the CPU usage is high like 80-85% is there smt wrong then? The CPU usage become that high when my game is open and im on the browser doing something but when the browser is open but im on my game its not as high it like 30% 

HP Recommended

In Win10 right click on the windows icon, then click system. This will tell you how much RAM is installed.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. If both apply......do both.
HP Recommended

Im sorry but have you read my main post? It stated there that i use windos 7 not 10

HP Recommended

Click start, then click control panel, then double click system.

HP Recommended

Thx and two last questions. So there is no other place to buy a RAM other than amazon? Like there is no HP store for RAM? 

Also the other question i stated earlier about the CPU can i get an answer pls?

HP Recommended

This has gone pretty far afield from the original questions. Its Expert Day so like trying to fly on Thanksgiving...the boards get a little crowded and a lot of people around who don't fly too often. 

The Omen external video card thing is only for very modern computers which have something called a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port. You can't use it; your computer lacks such a port, so not an option. 

Lots of places to buy RAM other than amazon, just not HP. HP sells new computers and accessories. It is not a general computer store. The memory it does sell is for servicing its computers. Once they get as old as yours is, they are long out of warranty so HP does not bother to keep the memory around. When HP does sell it, they charge much more than retail

so your whole point of wanting for some reason to buy memory from HP which does not make memory and is not in the business of selling memory is a bit odd and I hope I have explained why. 

The problem is with memory that is not the current kind is that you will have trouble finding compatible memory at a bricks and mortar store like Best Buy. So if you are in the US, amazon.com is the best way to go. I linked you to the exact correct memory that will absolutely work for you and gave explicit instructions how to install it. The "how to" is in the pictures on page 55 of the manual. To have 8 gigs you need 2 x 4 modules. You will not find better advice or better service. You are killing us with obtusity. 

Your CPU load while gaming is the reason you came here in the first place. Your computer runs graphics in the CPU. It has "integrated" Intel video so when you try to make it play a game its like asking an 80 year old man to run the 100 yard dash. He gets worn out and winded very quickly. 

You have been given two different ways to check memory amount. 

You are milking the boards here, my friend and if your questions are not answered yet, I am throwing in the towel. No Solution to be had here. Good luck to you.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.