Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Late 2016 Model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there any way to adjust how long the backlight on the keyboard will timeout. It is either always on or always off. It does not turn off with the screen when setting the screen timout. It seems like a waste of battery for it to always be on. I tried looking for a software setting and in the BIOS but cannot find a setting.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @blue808,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to change the keyboard backlight timer for your notebook. Happy to help. 

May I know the exact model of the notebook you are using?

Have you tried any 3rd party application to change the backlight timer?

To the best of my knowledge, you do not have an option to change the keyboard backlight timer duration. 

It usually turns off when not in use after a preset duration and turns ON when you touch any key on the keyboard. 

For assistance in turning ON or OFF the keyboard backlight, refer to this article

To troubleshoot any keyboard issues, please refer to this article

To make sure all the drivers are updated, run HP Support Assistant.

Keep me posted.

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi. Model number is W9B13AV_1 spectre x360 13t.
I have not tried any third party software, is there one that will work with this model? Usually model specific software would be provided by the laptop manufacturer. I have read posts for other HP laptop models that have timeout settings in their BIOS, but did not find one in my BIOS, BIOS F20.A.

The backlight for this model does not turn off after a preset duration. It stays on as long as the power is on and not in sleep or hibernation.

Seems like a basic feature that is not included with this laptop. Hopefully there will be an update that includes this option.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing the requested information. There are no settings available for the notebook to manage the keyboard backlight duration. 

Recommend you to uninstall the keyboard driver again, delete the driver when prompted. 

Restart the computer and run HP Support Assistant to make sure the driver is updated. 

Download the latest graphics driver from Intel website and check. 

For further assistance, please contact our phone support as they can take a remote of your computer and check the settings. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The auto keyboard backlight turn off is good to save power but its very bad idea while you are looking for the first key to enter and the keyboard is not visible . A false key hit might result in diasters . HP should take this as a suggestion and work on it

HP Recommended

I agree with this. My backlight goes off way too quickly and I have to try to press a key like shift but when it is dark-ish, the keys can't be seen and I often hit the wrong key and bad things have happened as a result.

Would be nice to be able to adjust.

HP Recommended

Buy an ASUS. After many years of being frustrated with HP, Wifi issues, Compatibility issues they have gone down in my expectations. I have been pleasantly surprised at the little things that make ASUS so much better, and the specs are just as good, if not better.

On this issue, the ASUS not only has 3 levels of brightness, but after timeout, which is a more reasonable period of time of 60seconds, than HP's ridiculous 15 seconds, the ASUS turns the keyboard backlight back on when you move the mouse. How simple and so much better is that.

HP Recommended

Hi Team.

I came accross this artical in order to figureout the best way to turn my backlit on alwas for at least 5 mins. I have not faced this same problem on my mac pc, but it is HP which decided to frustrate customers with turning it off. May be HP Business analysts forgot to give a proper timeout setting and developer coded it for ~19 second? It is really annoying. 

See if you can fix it OTB. My HP model is a fairely recent Elitebook. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.