Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My ProBook 4530 laptop (A7KO5UT) running on Windos 7 Home Premium (64bit) does not charge my battery. This computer is only several weeks old and has had this problem since I first started it. Whenever I boot the computer with the AC adapter and battery both connected, it tells me that my battery's energy levels are depleting and that there are no signs of an AC adapter being connected. The AC adapter however works perfectly fine when I use it on another computer and perfectly fine when I run my laptop with just the AC adapter as the sole power source. I contacted HP about this issue via chat and was given another battery. However, this battery did nothing to change the situation at hand. Should I assume that this second battery is also defected, or is this more likely a problem with my BIOS, or something of that nature? Thanks for any help in this matter whatsoever.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
This sounds more like a problem with a mismatched power adapter or a battery controller on the motherboard.

What is the wattage on the ac adapter you're using?
HP Recommended

The power adapter I am using is the one that was sent to me in the original box. The output wattage on the adapter is 65W.

HP Recommended

Okay, so that's the correct adapter.

Have you done any troubleshooting steps since you've inserted the new battery? You need to test it and calibrate it if needed: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Is-your-notebook-plugged-in-and-not-charging/...

It would be pretty rare for the replacement battery to also be dysfunctional.

HP Recommended

The last time I peformed that test on the replacement battery (which is also the last time I used it) it said the staus of my battery was "OK" and didn't make mention of it being needed to be recalibrated. Would that then indicate the problem is with my motherboard? 

By the way, thanks for helping me out with this so far. It's really appreciated. 

HP Recommended

@fonesca wrote:

The last time I peformed that test on the replacement battery (which is also the last time I used it) it said the staus of my battery was "OK" and didn't make mention of it being needed to be recalibrated. Would that then indicate the problem is with my motherboard? 

By the way, thanks for helping me out with this so far. It's really appreciated. 

You're welcome!  Let's just hope we get this solved.  One of the last things we can try is to reinstall the battery driver:

1:  Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”
2:  Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”
3:  Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.
4:  Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”
5:  Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

HP Recommended

Followed the steps you told me to in re-installing the battery driver and the original problem still remains unfortunately.

HP Recommended

@fonesca wrote:

Followed the steps you told me to in re-installing the battery driver and the original problem still remains unfortunately.

Well that's no good.  The only thing that comes to mind at this point is a circuit board/battery controller issue which means a service tech would need to look at it and switch out the components if necessary. 

HP Recommended

shut down your computer, pull the battery. Restart the computer w/ the power cord plugged in but leave the battery out. Once restarted into windows you can plug the battery back in and it should charge like normal.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.