Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8470p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently had to replace my wireless adapter and received a Broadcom BCM943228HMB from my HP rep.  I am unable to find a driver for this adapter for Windows 7 64bit.  I borrowed an adapter from another 8470p and it works, so it is not the M/B.

Does someone have the correct driver?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver...

This package contains Broadcom Wireless LAN driver and is required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN adapter in supported notebook models running a supported operating system. This package also contains the Broadcom Wireless Utility application and IHV Extensions that add support for Cisco Compatible Extensions.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70616.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul.

This SP gives me an 'update.cpp 1205' error.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yeah, those Broadcom wlan drivers will do that.

Once you try an incorrect driver, the only way I know of to install the right driver is to reinstall Windows 7.

Some how the wrong drivers mess up the Windows registry so bad, that you have to reinstall windows.

I guess you can try running the system restore utility and select a restore point to a time before you installed any drivers for the Broadcom wlan card.

But before you do that, please post the hardware ID for the wireless network adapter (Network Controller), so I can be absolutely sure the ID for that card is present in the driver setup information file for the driver I posted.

Use this guide for how to find a hardware ID...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Certainly,

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_060714E4&REV_00

HP Recommended

Hi:

That ID is not listed in the setup information file of any HP Broadcom driver I looked at that should have worked.

That is why no drivers are working.

Can you get me the HP part number off the wireless card?

Hopefully, I can look it up in the parts store and see what models it goes to, go to their support pages and find a driver that has that ID.

The part number usually is on a white sticker that shows 'Replace with HP Spare."

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

The original adapter says 'Replace with HP spare #669832-001.  This adapter does not have a sticker on it, but the packing slip has this item number and HP Broadcom 43228 as the description.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is a list of all HP products that use that part number...

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=9B0FD153C58249BDA9C56ECE347CD4D5&SearchIn=P...

The drivers are all the same...none have support for the hardware ID you posted.

The card is probably defective.  I've seen that before where the hardware ID gets corrupted somehow.

Here is a partial copy and paste of all the hardware ID's supported by the drivers for that model wlan card.

%BCM43228NM_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XNM23_NT62, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_182C103C
 %BCM43228NM_DeviceDesc_HPD% = BCM43XNM23_NT62, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_05E214E4
 %BCM43228NM_DeviceDesc_HPD% = BCM43XNM23_NT62, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_2135103C
 %BCM43228NM_DeviceDesc_HPD% = BCM43XNM23_NT62, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_22D5103C 

As a last resort, try modifying the driver setup information file...

Take this line:  %BCM43228NM_DeviceDesc_HPD% = BCM43XNM23_NT62, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_05E214E4

And substitute the hardware ID for your adapter

%BCM43228NM_DeviceDesc_HPD% = BCM43XNM23_NT62, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_060714E4.

Save and close the setup information file and see if the driver works that way.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul, you really know your stuff.

I've never had trouble with HP hardware before, but I spent two days trying to get an adapter to work.  I finally contacted my supplier and reported it as defective.  This adapter is actually the second replacement.  I finally posted on this forum because I could get neither to work.

I am now questioning my supplier to make sure it is a genuine HP replacement part.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I've even checked the newest notebooks that have the same card, such as the Probook 450 G3, and while they added different hardware revisions of the adapter, still that hardware ID doesn't exist.

I went older, and looked at the 8460p, and that Broadcom driver had support for other hardware ID's, but not the one you posted.

I even checked HP desktop PC's with the same model card, and the drivers there don't contain the hardware ID you posted.

Unfortunately, I have to throw in the towel on this one!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.