Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello, I've had my laptop for about 3 months now and a crack has appeared on the top left corner of my screen. I didn't drop it and kept it in good condition to find one day with a big crack. The screen has even gone completely whiteand i have to restart just to use. This is my go to for homework so I'm very concerned. Reading this thread seems to indicate a harware error. Can someone help me please I love the computer but this is a problem. I really care about this computer and i csnt use it with the screen like this. Is there any way i can replace the screen. Help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well it is probably the single most common laptop screen being made. It is a 1366 x 768 15.6 inch LED Brightview panel HP Part number 689690-001

Video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKeisMQHmZo

You just need a small Phillips screwdriver, and a flat spatula type device to pry off plastic covers without marring.

Here is the screen on U.S. eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/689690-001-NEW-HP-2000-2d19WM-LED-WXGA-HD-Glossy-Laptop-15-6-LCD-Screen-/360...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-COMPAQ-689690-001-REPLACEMENT-LAPTOP-15-6-LCD-LED-Display-Screen-/1311566...

$55.49 shipped on the low end.

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes the screen is replaceable. And, if you tell us the model number we can tell you exactly how. Screens for most laptops can be purchased for less than $100 now and the replacement is doable by anybody who can remove and replace about 8 screws. HP will not cover this under warranty because they think it takes some kind of external traumatic force to break a screen. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply its a hp 2000 laptop. And what type of screwdrivers or tools are necessary.

Product number: E0K72UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Well it is probably the single most common laptop screen being made. It is a 1366 x 768 15.6 inch LED Brightview panel HP Part number 689690-001

Video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKeisMQHmZo

You just need a small Phillips screwdriver, and a flat spatula type device to pry off plastic covers without marring.

Here is the screen on U.S. eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/689690-001-NEW-HP-2000-2d19WM-LED-WXGA-HD-Glossy-Laptop-15-6-LCD-Screen-/360...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-COMPAQ-689690-001-REPLACEMENT-LAPTOP-15-6-LCD-LED-Display-Screen-/1311566...

$55.49 shipped on the low end.

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help and the tutorial videos. 

HP Recommended

Well friend if you are enough techhy you can try fixing it yourself

When You Should Try Fixing :

Honestly, if you are already into technical blogs and repairs you must give it a try, there are so many DIY guides available these days. DIY videos are also recommended for this as you may find thousands of them on youtube. Yet I must tell you If accidental damage is covered under your laptop’s warranty, don’t do this fix yourself. Get the laptop repaired under the warranty. Again for those Not-so-techy friends out there, better not to take a chance with your laptop. You have our call-to-action right below this paragraph, Before you get a heart-attack trying to fix it up, please let us know if you need any help for your Laptop Screen Repair.

What To Check :

Make sure the screen really needs replacement. It can be the graphics card on the motherboard which is dead, for instance, you may be wasting your time and effort on replacing a perfectly good screen.To ensure the graphics card is functioning, you can plug a desktop monitor or TV into the laptop, as most have a standard blue VGA monitor and/or a HDMI output. If the picture looks good on an external display, your graphics card is likely good and the screen is at fault. If you don’t get any picture, keep in mind some laptops require you to press certain function keys on the laptop to activate external display output. If you do that and video still doesn’t display, your graphics card and/or motherboard is likely broken, rather than your screen.When sure , purchase replacements parts onlne in ebay , amazon etc.

Flat working area ( Table ) : You’ll need a spot to sit with a flat area to work on your laptop, Preferably a table. Find a clean and noise free space so that you can concentrate.

Small-head magnetic Philips screwdriver: Not small like a mini screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit, but I’d say between that size and a mid-sized screwdriver would work. If you don’t have a magnetic-head screwdriver, try to find a magnet big enough to magnetize the driver head. This helps the screws stick to the head, making it much easier to remove and replace the screws without cursing as they fall all over the place.

Safety pin or needle: This is for removing the cover stickers that are hiding the screws on your laptop’s surrounding cover, called the bezel.

Plastic putty knife or other thin object: This is optional, to aid in prying apart the screen bezel from the case. Personally, my finger nails usually do the trick. If you do use another object, ensure it’s thin enough but not so sharp that it will leave scrapes or other evidence of prying.

Small bowl or other container: This is for stashing the small screws—and keeping them safe from curious cats and children.

1. Remove the screen bezel

Replacing bezel in laptop screen
First, you need to disconnect the power supply and then after removing the battery you have to cautiously look at the bezel around the screen. You’ll need to remove this bezel to access the screws that hold the LCD panel in place.

Then you will get to see several rubber cushions hiding screws, which hold the bezel in place. So now you need to remove these cushions and the screws that are underneath.

replacing screen in laptop

With the hidden screws removed, I used a thin metal blade to pop loose one of the bottom corners and worked my way around the bezel with a plastic spudger.

2. Remove the broken LCD panel

laptop display removal
You need to get your LCD’s mounting brackets exposed, then you can remove the screws that secure it to the lid. Then leave the display front-side-down on the case and disconnect its cable.

Screen Screws & Wires

Once you have removed the speaker bezel you will see a total of 6 wires coming from the bottom of the screen and feeding into the laptop. From left to right,Video cable, (the cable which controls all aspects of color and brightness on the LCD ..backlight and such). Normally the laptops made before 2010 have LCDs with fluorescent backlights, it will likely have two cables. Otherwise, this would have an LED-backlit LCD and it only has one cable. Next will be 2 thin wires which control the 2 mics located by the webcam on this monitor. On the right side of the screen you have your wireless antenna wires and the webcam conroller wire, Your replacement screen should have all of these in it already.

Replacing new laptop screen

Now carefully locate the manufacturer’s label and note the model number.This important as Using this information you should be able to buy an exact match for your broken screen.your replacement screen should have all of these cables in it already. So you can simply disconnect the wires from the laptop and leave them attached to the screen, if you do not have these wires coming from your new screen be concerned, you may have the wrong screen or simply a lesser model.

Setting Antennas

Wires and laptops under a laptop screen

First thing you should notice after pulling the keyboard off is the track of the wireless antenna’s , then you may go ahead and release the wires from their little track and clips, and then gently snake the antenna ends through the whole which allows them to connect to the wireless card on the bottom of the laptop.

Be sure to remember how it snakes through if yours has any unexpected twists or hooks because you will need to put the new antenna wires back through this same way in a second.

3. Install the new LCD panel

Repairing laptop display
Once your new screen arrives, unpack it and make sure it matches the old one.
If the dimensions, mounting brackets, and connector all match, you ready to install the screen. Connect the new panel to the cable, position the panel in the lid, and secure it using the appropriate screws.

Laptop display reassembly

4. Test the new LCD panel and reinstall the bezel
Before reattaching the bezel, it’s a good idea to test the new panel. Reconnect the battery and power cable and turn the machine on. If the display works, you can reattach the bezel and any external screws and rubber cushions. The repair is now complete.

Thank you 

Source : https://techyuga.com/laptop-screen-replacement/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.