Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6T-7000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

All, product is A5F76AV, using Intel chip.  Original hard drive is failing.  I would like to confirm that a 2nd hard drive bay is in the laptop and can accept a Samsung or Cruical SSD drive.   My goal is to install the SSD in the 2nd bay, clean install Windows 7 on to the SSD, then swap drives, use the SSD as boot drive, and migrate files from the original hard drive (now in the 2nd bay).   I am checking because multiple "how to" tapes are suggesting pulling the optical DVD and using a caddy kit to put a second hard drive there.  I would like to avoid that if possible, in case one or more programs can only reinstall via DVD.

Please confirm 2nd bay is present, and whether or not any type of caddy will be needed for the SSD drive in either primary or secondary bay.  Any links to "how to" videos/docmentation will also be appreciated.

Thank You!

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @RYoung-Richmond

Yes, that should work 🙂

I checked the specifications and ideally, all three can exist at the same time.

Hope that helps!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @RYoung-Richmond – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to help you with the Pc issue!

I do understand that you are hoping to add the SSD as a backup to your failing hard drive. Yes, your PC does supports the SSD.

This is the part number of the 160 GB solid-state drive supported with your computer model: 682098-001

Also, please check page 70 and 71 of your notebook upgrade and maintenance guide to get instructions: http://hp.care/2sadQa5

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for replying!  I was not sufficiently clear on my question: does my laptop have two hard drive bays, that will allow the existing (but failing) HDD to stay in bay 1, while at the same time allowing me to put a new SSD in bay 2, and at the same time leaving the DVD player in the optical drive bay.  (So an HDD, an SSD and a DVD, all three at the same time)???

Thank you again!

Robert

HP Recommended

Hello, @RYoung-Richmond

Yes, that should work 🙂

I checked the specifications and ideally, all three can exist at the same time.

Hope that helps!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

perfect, thank you!

HP Recommended

You know I hate to second guess but there is only a single 2.5 inch hard drive bay in that laptop, no M.2 slot for that kind of SSD and yes there is an optical drive. So you cannot have 2 x 2.5 inch drives SSD or HDD and an optical drive. Just sayin' 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.