Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I didn't realiuze I wouldn't have bluetooth on my new pc. Not sure if I need it to add it to my home group or how important it is to have it.. only use the pc at home.

If I need it to connect, can you help me by providing information on how to add it, etc.?

Thank you,

Barb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The most common use of bluetooth is to sync data with a phone which you can do with usb or to attach a bluetooth mouse or keyboard or headset like if you wanted to do Rosetta Stone or something like that. It is not used to network with other computers, usually. If you have never actually used bluetooth I can't see why you need to have it. If you feel you are missing something the really easy way to add bluetooth is with a very cheap usb bluetooth dongle. 

$10 on amazon.com

The other method would involve removing and replacing the wireless card to install one that does both wi-fi and bluetooth. It would cost maybe $40-50 for the card but is not an easy task on your model of laptop. There is no easy access door and would require fairly complete disassembly and would jeopardize the warranty. 

Bluetooth is a premium feature usually not provided at the low end of laptop price points, such as Wal-Mart models. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The most common use of bluetooth is to sync data with a phone which you can do with usb or to attach a bluetooth mouse or keyboard or headset like if you wanted to do Rosetta Stone or something like that. It is not used to network with other computers, usually. If you have never actually used bluetooth I can't see why you need to have it. If you feel you are missing something the really easy way to add bluetooth is with a very cheap usb bluetooth dongle. 

$10 on amazon.com

The other method would involve removing and replacing the wireless card to install one that does both wi-fi and bluetooth. It would cost maybe $40-50 for the card but is not an easy task on your model of laptop. There is no easy access door and would require fairly complete disassembly and would jeopardize the warranty. 

Bluetooth is a premium feature usually not provided at the low end of laptop price points, such as Wal-Mart models. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much!! I don't need it according to you, and appreciate you prompt response.

I thought I would need bluetooth to join my home group. I have it on my other 2 computers & my phone, so thought I needed on this.

Barb

HP Recommended

I have found that it is handy to have Bluetooth these days due to there being many wireless bluetooth speakers on the market and connecting to you cell phone to exchange files or root it.  It's nice but not an essential and I like that HP doesn't include the Bluetooth & WiFi card to enable a quality computer at a lower price.

I'm thankful for the detailed answer though Barb, it enabled me to make the $10 decision much easier!  🙂  

P.S:  You Go HP!! - I just received my computer back from an Under Warranty Repair and I astonished (literally) at the quality of service performed!  You/they even fixed items that weren't part of the problem; my worn keyboard and the frame which had a piece of plastic missing from bumping in to a hard surface.  THIS keeps me both a confident HP customer as well as  proud and confident to continue to recommend HP as the best PC on the marketo to all my clients and friends!  CHEERS!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.