Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 af006ax
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Is it possible to replace HP 15-af006ax Optical drive with an SSD? Does my optical drive have a SATA-III interface? Should I buy a 9.5mm or 12.7mm caddy for the SSD? 

Thanks for your time!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@abitconfused100 

1. Yes you can but that will be wasting your money. Better option is to replace existing  HDD with SSD then move old HDD to ODD bay with a caddy. Reason you won't get better speed when SSD is on ODD bay.

2. You need 9.5mm caddy.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help! Can you tell me why I should put the HDD and not SSD there? Will the HDD become slower if I connect it to the optical drive?

Also, can you point me to some resources for copying my OS from the HDD to SSD? The internet is a mess with articles and it'd save me the time sorting to find the better guides. 

Basically, I want to copy my OS to the SSD and then only have my folder of videos and music on the HDD (no software, I'll reinstall then on the SSD). Showing an easy way to do it will be appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.