Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Dv6 6135dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion dv6 6135dx and the charger "broke" it was giving the laptop to much power causing it to power off, so, I got a new charger that is 90 watts and the guy at the store said it should work but, It's best buy so I don't trust them so can this break my laptop? I have a battery with it before I was not using a battery now I am. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Again, given SAME voltage (or +/- 5%), 90W won't break your machine but this may reduce video performance. I did post another day about this problem.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine requires 120W charger. 90W would work (given same voltage) but not recommended. You can use one of the following chargers

• 609941-001: Smart AC power adapter (120W) - RC, V - With power factor correction (PFC) technology - For use with all computer models Part 609941-001 is no longer supplied. Please order the replacement, 693709-001
  • 613154-001: AC Smart adapter (120 watt) - 100-240VAC input, 50-60Hz, 2.5A - 18.5VDC output, 6.5A, 120 watt, PFC - Requires separate 3-wire AC power cord with C5 connector - Does NOT include dongle for use with older, non-Smart compatible notebook PC's
  • 645156-001:  AC adapter (120-watt) - RC/V, slim form factor - With power factor correction (PFC) technology - Requires separate 3-wire AC power cord. Part 645156-001 is no longer supplied. Please order the replacement, 693709-001
  • 693709-001: AC Smart power adapter (120 watt) - Slim form factor, with power factor correction (PFC) - Requires separate 3-wire AC power cord.

Only the last one is available at the part store. You can use part number to order or try

https://www.amazon.com/HP-693709-001-Smart-power-adapter/dp/B009SOI8P8

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Your explanation is a little off. The adapter can't really give the laptop too much power. The laptop was originally delivered with a 120 watt adapter.

120-W PFC RC V HP Smart AC adapter 609941-001

That is an 18.5 volt adapter so 6.5 amps to equal 120 watts

HP also offered this 90w adapter:

90-W PFC RC V HP Smart AC adapter 609940-001 

These are 19v 4.74 amps

So the real issue is what is the voltage of the adapter the "Genius" (oops, wrong store) at Best Buy sold you? Is it genuine HP? As long as it is 18.5 or 19 volts and the tip connects without sloppiness it is likely OK but using anything other than a genuine adapter or at least a "replacement" made specifically for your model is not a good idea. Off-voltage adapters will work for a while but ultimately cause issues like video card failure. 

HP Recommended

I bought the Computer off craigs list and it came with the charger, and my cats chewed on the cord so, I assumed it was giving to much power. But, Can this 90 Watt charger work with my laptop with the battery and not break anything? the charger is a HP charger.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Again, given SAME voltage (or +/- 5%), 90W won't break your machine but this may reduce video performance. I did post another day about this problem.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.