Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am buying the HP Spectre x360 and need to know if its trackpad can be turned off, such as with an F (function) key press.   Using the unit in laptop mode with a mouse, I will not want to use the trackpad and my hands will otherwise touch the touchpad and move the cursor all over the place as I type.  My current laptop has an option F4 key to disable the 'internal pointing device' (the trackpad) but I want to know if the Spectre x360 has such an option.  I will be getting my machine with WIN 10 pre-installed.  Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try: go to Control Panel,

select Mouse

select Synaptics tab

tick diabale internal ... then click Apply/Ok

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
In general, palm rejection works well for me with this laptop. So typing is not an issue, the cursor only moves when I use my fingers on the pad. Windows has some built in settings for a delay between using the keyboard and the mouse responding.

I think banhien's solution will disable it indefinitely, but if you want to be able to switch it on and off on the fly, you can use the synaptics driver settings. It allows you to double tap one corner of the pad to disable/enable the touchpad.
HP Recommended

I tried the setting and it works.  I like how it allows you to auto-disable the pad if the system detects a USB mouse.  The previous post mentions that the pad can be turned back on by clicking a corner of the pad, though.  Which corner?  I don't see that setting anywhere.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Please note, I haven't tested this extensively:

In Mouse settings, in the "ClickPad Settings" tab (where you found the enable/disable options) click on the "ClickPad Settings" button.

This should open up the Synaptics driver configuration window. Now click on the "Tapping" option and you should see a little gear icon to its right. Click on the gear icon and this allows you to alter the setting I mentioned previously.

You can choose for a double tap in the top left corner to enable/disable the ClickPad.

I just tried it out, and it works, although it seems a bit finicky. YMMV.

The benefit to this method is that you don't need to open up the control panel to enable/disable it, you can just do it on the fly.

HP Recommended

There is no "Tapping" option on my side under "ClickPad settings".

HP Recommended

Perhaps it is a different driver version then. I have version 19.0.12.95 on my system, seen below:

mouse_settings.PNG

Clicking on "ClickPad Settings" gives me this window:

clickpad_settings.PNG

And the gears next to "Tapping" are where I can find those settings.

This version of the driver was installed automatically for me, and since upgrading to Windows 10, I have the problem that a few others are mentioning, regarding settings not being saved. I think that this driver worked fine under Windows 8.1 though.

HP Recommended

WIN8.1 auto-installed version 18.1.30.16.  I will try to get an updated version.

HP Recommended

Does not work, once the Sprectre is powered down, and restarted, the touch pad will again return to touch capacity.

HP Recommended

The solution posed does not work 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.