Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

This solution does not work - and HP needs to be more responsive to it buyers  

HP Recommended

This is exactly what happens, power down and it returns. HP should be developing a pernmant solution, but that will never happen. Typically of a big company, that has lost sight of the customer!

HP Recommended

Hi @1719Gervais,

Thank you for your inquiry. I grasp that you would like to disable the touchpad so that it is not enabled again on startup. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10). Please see "Opening the ClickPad properties" Figure 4. You will see a button to disable the TouchPad. Select it,  then click apply and OK.  This should remain disabled until you re-enable it.  Please let me know if this resolved the issue for you.

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon”.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you @jlonomo, this works perfectly.  You saved my sanity, thank you.

HP Recommended

For those of you who are having to reboot to regain your mouse, make sure to choose "turn touch pad off" not "turn off for this session."

HP Recommended

If want to have the touchpad disabled when you have a mouse attached, but have the touchpad be re-enabled when the mouse is not attached, here's the only thing I can find that works on an HP Spectre 360 --

Go to 'Settings' and click on the 'Devices' icon.  In the list that comes up, click on the 'Pen and Windows Ink' item in the left-hand column.  The 3rd item down is 'Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen.'  Turn this feature 'on.'  When you do, with a mouse connected, the touchpad input is ignored.  Remove the mouse, and the touchpad responds.  The touch screen still responds in either arrangement.  Haven't checked the effect on pen usage since I don't ever use a pen.

Note - I got to this after trying a variety of other things because, unlike non-Synaptics touchpads that let you disable the pad in Device Manager by right-clicking on the device, the Synaptics pad does not have a 'disable' choice in the driver.  Also, uninstalling the driver doesn't work either; the driver is automatically reloaded on startup.  Changing a variety or Synaptics touchpad entries in the Registry also failed to work.  So, if you're having similar problems, try the above and see if it works.  Works for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.