Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

After about 10 minutes of running my laptop (HP OMEN 17-cb1xxx), certain keys on the keyboard stop working-  z,x,c,v,space bar, top numbers. How should I fix this?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @CabinPete,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there could be a hardware or software issue causing this problem. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue.

• Restart Your Laptop: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Restart your laptop and see if the issue persists.
  • Check for Driver Updates: Outdated or corrupted keyboard drivers can cause keyboard issues. Go to the Device Manager, find the keyboard drivers, and check for updates. If updates are available, install them and see if it resolves the problem.
  • Check for Windows Updates: Sometimes, system updates can fix bugs and issues related to hardware components. Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date.
  • Check for Physical Damage: Inspect your laptop keyboard for any physical damage, such as spills or debris that might be causing certain keys to stop working. Clean the keyboard carefully if necessary.
  • Run Hardware Diagnostics: Many laptops have built-in diagnostics tools that can help identify hardware problems. 
  • Test with an External Keyboard: If you have an external keyboard, connect it to your laptop and see if the same keys stop working after 10 minutes. This will help determine if the issue is with the laptop's keyboard or something else.
  • Reset BIOS Settings: Sometimes, incorrect BIOS settings can cause keyboard issues. You can try resetting the BIOS settings to default. Be cautious when doing this and refer to your laptop's manual for instructions.

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and hopefully resolve the issue with your laptop's keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.