Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy X360 13t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking for options for a docking station for this device.  It looks like the HP Ultraslim Docking Station described at this link would be compatible, but it talks about HP Elitebook and not specifically for HP Envy models:   http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/business-solutions/hp-2013-ultraslim-docking-station-d9y32ut-aba

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As @banhien said it depends on what all you want to attach. I have the Spectre 13 "world's thinnest" which only has USB-C ports. This one has an HDMI and 3 good old USB 3.0 ports. There is no such thing as a USB monitor, you have to get an adapter but you have an HDMI port and HDMI to VGA adapters are readily available.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Gold-Plated-Video-Converter-Micro-USB/dp/B00NBUTHJG/ref=sr_1_2?s=elect...

So if you just want the external monitor, mouse and keyboard all you need is the above adapter and plug the usb connections for mouse and keyboard into the laptop directly or you could get a USB hub so you just plug in one thing. Think of the motions you have to go through. With a dock, when you get home, you simply click the laptop down on the dock and everything is already connected. With this arrangement, you connect the AC adapter, plug it in. Connect the HDMI to VGA, which you have permanently connected to the monitor cable, plug in the mouse and keyboard or maybe just the hub. So 3-5 separate connections instead of click and go. Still we are talking about 15-20 seconds to be up and running before you can use the laptop as a desktop computer. You would use wireless for network.

The other option is a USB-C port replicator:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ports-HDMI-Resolution-Aluminum/dp/B01EIWJ9QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147...

The above is unpowered but would allow you to permanently attach your monitor, mouse and keyboard so you only have to connect one thing.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The Envy x360 does not have docking port therefore any USB port replicator can do. Now you need to check your requirements, not for your x360 but how many devices you wish to connect (for example you want to connect two more monitors, external speakers ...) this will help you to make decision which one to buy.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No. Your laptop does not have the connector ports that will allow you to use that dock. HP does not make a true "dock" for consumer laptops any more. A dock means it has its own power and the laptop snaps into or onto the dock and draws power through the dock. What you can use is a port replicator. These do not power the laptop. The laptop will still need to have its adapter attached for power. The PR attaches though USB 3.0 or USB-C (Thunderbolt).

Need your exact model to determine which expansion ports you have. USB 3.0 allows decent video but USB-C (Tbolt) is even better. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  I'm just planning to purchase the following customized Envy model from Costco:  HP ENVY x360 13t Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop - Intel Core i7500 - QHD+. 

I have a older 23" VGA model, so if I want to use that monitor, I need a dock/port replicator with a VGA port, which seems to be hard to find.  Better if I purchase a USB monitor, but not there yet.

The ports on the 13t seem to be standard for this Envy model.  The specs show these ports:

1x USB 3.1 type C
3x USB 3.1
1x HDMI
1x Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader
1x Combination Headphone-Out/Microphone-In Jack

Any advice you can give is much appreciated.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  I'm just planning to purchase the following customized Envy model from Costco:  HP ENVY x360 13t Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop - Intel Core i7500 - QHD+. 

I have a older 23" VGA model, so if I want to use that monitor, I need a dock/port replicator with a VGA port, which seems to be hard to find.  Better if I purchase a USB monitor, but not there yet.

The ports on the 13t seem to be standard for this Envy model.  The specs show these ports:

1x USB 3.1 type C
3x USB 3.1
1x HDMI
1x Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader
1x Combination Headphone-Out/Microphone-In Jack

Any advice you can give is much appreciated.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

As @banhien said it depends on what all you want to attach. I have the Spectre 13 "world's thinnest" which only has USB-C ports. This one has an HDMI and 3 good old USB 3.0 ports. There is no such thing as a USB monitor, you have to get an adapter but you have an HDMI port and HDMI to VGA adapters are readily available.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Gold-Plated-Video-Converter-Micro-USB/dp/B00NBUTHJG/ref=sr_1_2?s=elect...

So if you just want the external monitor, mouse and keyboard all you need is the above adapter and plug the usb connections for mouse and keyboard into the laptop directly or you could get a USB hub so you just plug in one thing. Think of the motions you have to go through. With a dock, when you get home, you simply click the laptop down on the dock and everything is already connected. With this arrangement, you connect the AC adapter, plug it in. Connect the HDMI to VGA, which you have permanently connected to the monitor cable, plug in the mouse and keyboard or maybe just the hub. So 3-5 separate connections instead of click and go. Still we are talking about 15-20 seconds to be up and running before you can use the laptop as a desktop computer. You would use wireless for network.

The other option is a USB-C port replicator:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ports-HDMI-Resolution-Aluminum/dp/B01EIWJ9QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147...

The above is unpowered but would allow you to permanently attach your monitor, mouse and keyboard so you only have to connect one thing.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.