Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq 610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Well, I have a Compaq 610 since 2014. It was my daily driver until 2018. It was full of dust and dirtyness, so in 2020 I opened it, wiped away the dust and assembled it back. Nothing special, for now.

Last month, I re-installed Windows. I put Windows 10 on it. I got bored and for nostalgic purposes, I put an unused HDD with Windows 7. Everything was fine. Well… until I rebooted it. The system’s date was in 2024. I changed it, and rebooted it again to see if it was just an error. It was worse. It went in june 2043. I shut down the laptop, and I reconnected its AC power cable. When I did this, it automatically turned on. I have blamed the BIOS battery for these. It was the original since 2009. I opened the laptop once again, replaced the BIOS battery, and, if I opened it up, I replaced the termal paste on its processor (with its paste replaced in 2020) and GPU (it had the original paste). That’s where my problem started. I assembled the laptop back, and I saw something weird: the wi-fi led and power button were on, the fan was running, but no Compaq boot logo. It turned off automatically off after 8 seconds. Tried to boot it again: the same problem. LEDs on, fan running ;but nothing booted. And of course, it turned off after 8 seconds. I checked the display: it had no crack on its pannel or cuts on its cable. Checked the RAM and Processor. Nothing unusual. I opened it for like 4 times trying to fix it. Until now, no progress. I have to mention that some keys on its keyboard did not work and when I opened it in 2020, I had a similar problem: leds on, fan running, no boot screen, but it didn’t turn off. It went for minutes until I turned off it manually. Replaced the RAM , changed their positions and it worked. Now, this method did not work. I’ve browsed the internet looking for answers and solutions. Nothing. Is there any way to fix this? I have the same problems as the person in this video : https://youtu.be/6xcRyXZrV3k

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yes I would say bad motherboard. That is a replacement thing not repair. Can likely find one for not a lot of money. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.